prologue

Key;
Reader is gender neutral as mentioned in the desc. Dialogue in italics is Japanese for easier differentiation between the language being spoken.

[Name] stands for either your name or an Original Character's.
[Middle name] / [M. name], if you don't have one, now you do? Idk
[Surname] is basically your last name

S/t = skin tone
H/c = hair color
H/l = hair length
H/t = hair type (coily, straight, wavy, etc.)
E/c = eye color
D.O.B. = date of birth
If there are any new ones they'll be defined wherever mentioned, constructive criticism is appreciated. My first fic!
-----~•°•~-----
Total word count: 1093
-----~•°•~-----
[*2ND PERSON P.O.V*]
Brilliant. One of many words used to describe you from a young age. Why? Simply because you grew at a more rapid pace than other kids your age. Of course, this was after developing your quirk.

Before your quirk developed, the only words of praise for you were rather basic and half-hearted in terms of parental compliments.

In elementary school, [Name] [Surname] , "the favorite", was known throughout the school for (presumably) their apparent greatness. The best at what was learnt early on with a great quirk. Easy on the eyes. They were blessed.

However, these weren't the only reasons for your popularity.

During a parent teacher conference, the young [Surname] was commended for their superior performance. But the reports of your supposed bad behavior were also shown to your parents. They were appalled. It was unbelievable how a sweet kid such as yourself could do these things.

Stealing items, being mean to, and sabotaging other students,

When questioned, [Name] denied it. Saying that it was the other person playing victim when that person actually did those things, just to make [Name] seem bad.

Your eyes were glossy and your lip was trembling.

Cue the tears and pitiful glances of the present adults. Through hushed conversing you could make out the words "poor thing".

You rubbed your eyes and wiped your big fat crocodile tears. The corners of your lips twitched. A ghost of a smile appearing on your lips, covered by the tissue used to blow your nose.

They brought your lie.

Well it wasn't entirely a lie, people were jealous of you. You weren't necessarily mean to anyone, they were either sensitive or took something you'd said the wrong way, and you didn't steal.

You just borrowed things for elongated periods of time.

Okay, maybe you did steal from your classmates.
-----~•°•~-----
After graduating elementary school, you and your family moved to Japan. Even though you'd learned how to speak Japanese fairly well, you still struggled with reading and introducing yourself.

When middle school/junior high started, you were good at what was taught but had some problems with the material. As such you were given a tutor, courtesy of your kind-hearted teacher, Mrs. Kosaka.

"You're [Surname] [Name], right? I'm Todoroki Shoto. Your tutor"

You weren't expecting him to be your tutor.

"Yes, it's a pleasure to meet you, but you can address me by my first name. I'm not used to honorifics yet."

From then onwards you were well acquainted enough for him to, at the very least, acknowledge your presence. One thing you took notice of upon your first meeting was the way he presented himself.

Definitely not something you typically see. Very closed off. Cold. According to other kids at school, he was "hot" as well.
-----~•°•~-----
As your time in junior high passed, your academic prowess was not so great. In one subject you were slightly above average, another was below, and most were just average. Now you had a hard time keeping up. What would your parents think? To say the least they "weren't mad, just disappointed". You weren't so sure about that, though.

When it came time for your final assessments and the ball throw thing, you did well on all but the ball throw. It's not like you expected to excel on that one anyways.

The fact still hurt though. Having trained and studied to excel, only for nothing to change.

You weren't very confident in the would be results of your  UA entrance exam either.

Compared to Todoroki----no, to everyone and anyone you were trash. In your years of junior high your parents compared you to others. Why can't you be more like so and so? Blank is doing this and what are you doing? You should be more like them. Smile more.

I would say you started lying because of this, but you already did from a young age, this only increased your formerly somewhat infrequent habit. Now you would work more, make white lies, and tell tall tales. All for validation.

How ironic. You loathed people pleasers and now you've become nothing short of one. What a joke.

Sure...other people weren't at the top of your list on who you want validation from, so you don't usually try with them, but they may tell your parents things that'll raise your image so you do occasionally.

These habits were so deeply ingrained in your mind that you could barely tell if what you were feeling was genuine or fake.

The foundation of your life now was filled with lies. When you were praised. It didn't feel quite right. You told yourself you didn't deserve the compliments. That such things were lies parents were obligated to tell their children. Much like when you were young and would show a horrendous drawing you are proud of to your parent claiming it's for them.

Isn't what they say so they don't hurt your feelings?

You were gullible and naive until you discovered the harsh truth of the world. No matter how many times one may say everyone is equal, they're wrong. Albeit if they wish to throw the word equal around meaninglessly, then by all means, do so.

A contradictory quote you remember quite well from the book Animal Farm, by George Orwell, was that "All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others".

In short, everyone is equal under those with more power.

Power.

What is power? Nowadays it's characterized by your quirk's strength.

The quirkless and those with "villain" quirks are tormented by others. All for something uncontrollable. Whilst the tormentors justify their wrongdoings under the guise of being heroic.

How foolish.

-----~•°•~-----
A/N(AUTHOR'S NOTE): I'LL TRY TO FORMAT THE NEXT FEW CHAPTERS LIKE AN ACTUAL STORY, SORRY FOR HOW ALL OVER THE PLACE THIS WAS. IF YOU LIKE READING IN 2ND PERSON P.O.V, LET ME KNOW. HAVE A GOOD REST OF YOUR DAY/AFTERNOON/EVENING!
(your quirk will be revealed next chapter)