Fitting

20K! So honoured to have so many reads, thank you all.

Dearest Reader,

It seems that Harriet Greyfair has pulled off the coup of the century. Prince Friedrich has proposed and she has wisely accepted. It seemed that many of us overlooked Miss. Greyfair but not the prince. Daphne Bridgerton may have become a Duchess, but Harriet Greyfair will be a princess. With Her Majesty the Queen running the event, their wedding will surely be the social occasion of the year.

Who will be on the illustrious guest list? Fear not, dear reader, for this author will find out whether she is in attendance or not.

- Lady Whistledown

"Stand still."

If Harriet was marrying anyone else, she'd be going to Madame Delacroix for her wedding gown. She was, however, marrying a prince- and the nephew of the Queen. Instead of heading to the modiste shop, Harriet was getting her fitting at the palace. Her modiste was Madame Moulin, the Queen's personal dressmaker.

It had been made clear from the get go that Harriet would have little to no say in her wedding dress. Instead of kicking up a fuss, Harriet had been a proper lady and just sucked it up. Weddings were run by the mothers. This wedding was run by a Queen.

"Fantastic, I have the measurements," Madame Moulin's French accent was very refined, "Now, you wanted silver, yes?"

"Yes," the Queen said before Harriet could even open her mouth, "Gold doesn't look as good against blonde hair. Silver is more of a refined colour. My wedding dress was so heavy, girls these days have it a lot easier with these fashions. We don't want patterns, I think a shiny fabric overlay would do just the trick. Miss. Greyfair shall wear a tiara once the couple is officially married. You are wearing family jewels, yes? Excellent. The bridesmaid's dress will be blue. Show me the fabrics for the overlay."

Madame Moulin handed over the fabric samples. The Queen flipped through them.

"I think this one," she pointed to a shimmering cloth, "Miss. Greyfair?"

Harriet knew this wasn't really a choice, even though she did like it.

"I think it's perfect, Your Majesty."

"Then it is settled. The dress shall be made and we shall ensure that it is ready with enough time for changes. Madame Moulin, the royal purser will see to your payment. Now Miss. Greyfair, let us have tea so we can discuss the wedding."

Harriet stepped off the podium and quietly thanked Madame Moulin. She followed the Queen out of the small room and down the corridors of Buckingham Palace. Everybody passing bowed or curtsied. Though it wouldn't be on that level, it would happen to Harriet. She would Her Royal Highness. Harriet would outrank everyone she knew. Her own parents would have to defer to her.

"Brimsley will be bringing the guest list later. I want it to be a grand event but we don't to be too inclusive. This is a royal wedding so only the best people should attend. The Featheringtons will not be invited of course."

"Perhaps we could make an exception for Penelope Featherington? I know that her family has been very wrong but she is a good and kind person. It is unfair to treat her as though she is complicit. I do wish that she be invited."

The Queen pursed her lips.

"It shall be considered. My granddaughter keeps begging to attend but I don't think it to be wise. A future Queen should know how to behave. I do not think any of my children shall attend; I shall spare you the trouble of it. Ah, here are the biscuits."

Harriet sat beside the Queen, trying to avoid sitting on her enormous skirts.

"I have a gift for you."

Harriet looked confused until a footman walked in holding a tiny Pomeranian puppy.

"He is yours."

Harriet gasped in delight as she was handed the ball of fluff. The pup immediately attempted to lick her nose whilst she held it close to her.

"Hello sweetie," she cooed, "Oh aren't you cute? Your Majesty, this is too kind."

"Every woman should have a dog. As your father has backwards male views about animals in the home, I shall care for him until you're married and in your own marital residence.  He is a purebred from my own canine line."

"Thank you, Your Majesty, I am so happy. I've always wanted a dog and admired yours so much. He is delightful. I shall have to think of a good name."

"My family has my favour. You, take the dog back."

The same footman scooped the puppy up and carried it away. Harriet couldn't keep the smile off of her face.

"I had my first two with me back in 1761 when I arrived in England. Phoebe and Mercury. They were a great comfort to me. Sailing to a new country to marry a man you've never met is quite hard."

The Queen was rarely this open.

"You're very well suited to the throne, Your Majesty," Harriet offered, "His Majesty was wise to choose you as a bride."

"You are kind, child. I was lucky. My match was political but it became love. These political matches are dying out, this new generation is more obsessed with compatibility and love. It's all that Princess Charlotte talks about. I suppose I shouldn't have had my eldest marry that stupid Brunswick girl. No manners. I just wish he'd been smart enough to have more children with her or a son at least. It's no wonder that Charlotte is the way she is with that woman as her mother. I only pray that she will mature. It shouldn't need to be said that I expect you to conduct yourself immeasurably. You will be a member of the royal family and you shall act as such at all times."

"Of course."

"Good. I am glad that my nephew chose someone sensible. That Cressida Cowper tried to get herself in there but I knew that she wasn't right for him. He'd be kicking himself if he'd married her."

"I believe that you are right, Your Majesty."

"I know. That is why I was so unhappy when Daphne Bridgerton threw my kindness back in my face. I have wagered on the Basset family having an heir within the year. Let us hope you have the same luck."

Harriet went pink.

A footman opened the door.

"Prince Friedrich," he announced.

Harriet rose to greet her fiancé. Friedrich's face lit up when he saw her.

"My dear," he kissed Harriet's hand before bowing to his aunt, "Your Majesty."

"Friedrich, sit down. We have just finished Miss. Greyfair's first dress fitting."

"I hope that it went well."

"It did. You shall have a fine bride. Have you had any word from your family about who will be coming to the wedding?"

"Yes. Unfortunately the situation in France means that it is very hard to cross to England and several of my male relatives are fighting. I was hoping my cousin Joseph could come as we are quite close, but he's fighting Napoleon. The Duke of Gloucester and Edinburgh, William Frederick, he's a distant relation and he lives here so he's my Best Man. His sister Sophia shall also be present."

"Worry not, it shall be a splendid occasion anyway."

"I do not doubt it," Friedrich smiled, looking at Harris, "Have you sorted the musician for the wedding?"

"The performer has agreed, yes."

"Who is it?" Harriet asked.

"Aunt won't tell me," Friedrich chuckled, "But she has assured me that it will be wonderful."

"It will be. Now, the royal baker has been working on the cake..."

Hi all, hope you enjoyed it.

Next Time: Harriet receives two very different talks about what to expect on her wedding night.

Thanks again for reading, don't forget to like, comment and check out my other work xxx