Chapter Two: After Dinner

A/N: AAA sorry if this feels rushed, I might add some more detail later I just didn't wanna keep you guys waiting 😅

     Amanda spent the day hiding in corners, watching her father be 'trained' to the brink of death by overly-enthusiastic lost boys. It got to the point where he was limping and his back looked stuck in a slight contortion. She feels sorry for the fact that she had done nothing but just watch it all play out. Peter looks and sounds absolutely miserable.
    When it seems that dinner has arrived, Peter is met with a disappointment worse than hell. Amanda is more than a little confused as well. There is no food. It's some sort of game. All of the boys, including Rufio who doesn't ever seem like the type to have time for such stupid things, are eating nothing but air.
     "Could you blow on this?" One of the youngest  asks Peter. The man has barely opened his mouth before the kid says a quick "Thank you!" and starts scarfing down his handful of air.
     It seems Peter's constant nagging of 'where's the real food?!'  Has tipped Rufio over the edge.
     "Eat your heart out, you crinkled, wrinkled, fat bag!" He exclaims, throwing his plate forcefully.
     Peter goes on to scold him for being an 'Ill-mannered young man' but Rufio continues with his insults and the others -including Tink are cheering him on.
    After a few minutes pass though, Peter's comebacks presumably get better and everyone switches to his side, leaving Rufio. It ends with the boy storming off after some sort of food that Amanda can't see gets thrown in his face.
    She decides it's time for her to leave and goes back to hiding in the shadows. She walks around the hideout for about thirty minutes, eyeing every lantern, every rope, and trinket that is hanging in and around the large tree.
     Amanda decides to climb up to one of the wooden platforms out of curiosity. The view is more admirable up there. Everything looks so glittery in the moonlight. It is nice to finally have some peace and quiet.
      All of a sudden, cold leather brushes lightly against her arm. She turns and nearly faints  upon seeing who she ran into. Two dark brown eyes stare back at her with distain.
    "What're you doing here?" Demands the feral leader. Suddenly fearful, Amanda can't help but stutter.
    "Sorry, I- um I just-"
    "Oh..you don't have a place to sleep tonight."
     Rufio's statement was true. Though that wasn't her goal of coming up here, the thought had crossed Amanda's mind a lot. "Follow me." He orders.
     This room is somewhere at the top of the tree. It looks different from what Amanda saw of the other boy's little houses. It was larger, there were many swords and daggers hanging on the wall. There was a suit of armour made
out of what looked like bone. On the right side of the wall, there were many drawings. All very well-detailed drawings of a very handsome blonde haired- green eyed boy. How peculiar. There were also a few pictures. One distinct was a black and white photo of a woman staring out of a balcony window, a poorly written note at the bottom of it read 'mother' . 
     Amanda wanted desperately to ask about everything, but she could tell he felt uncomfortable with her staring at his wall of pictures.
      "This is my place. You can sleep here." Rufio says, pulling off his jacket.
      "Next to you?"
      "Yeah. What, would ya rather share a bed with Thudbutt?" 
      "Fair enough."
      "I don't think I caught your name, pet, what is it?"
      "Amanda."
      "Amanda.." he repeated her name articulately like it was the most fascinating thing he'd ever heard. "I dig it."
     "I dig it' wow, you're kind of old fashioned aren't you?" The girl laughed.
     Rufio just cocked his head in response and gave a confused or maybe even offended look. It was obvious he had no idea why she had any reason to call him that.
     "Y-yeah...old fashioned." He mutters, sitting down and kicking off his bright red shoes. He then goes to pull off the grey half-shirt.
     Rufio turned around again, to meet Amanda's eyes. He must've sensed her staring from behind.
      "You want somethin' from me or what?"
      "No, no sorry, I just zoned out for a second. She tries to hide the sudden shame but her bright red face says it all.
     The boy just rolls his eyes and turns again to rest his head on the single pillow he kept.
      It was a strange night for Amanda. She had never slept this close to a boy -save for when Jack was little and he would ask to stay with her after a nightmare.
     Not only that, it was a while before Rufio dozed off. He had been tossing and turning  on his narrow mattress for about an hour before falling into a very restless sleep that consisted of him constantly twitching and muttering nonsense to himself.
      Amanda couldn't help but wonder what was on his mind that made him so seemingly active as he dreamt.
     Though not getting any sleep herself, she didn't mind it. She just layed there and thought a while about Peter, her siblings, and what they were to do once this situation was sorted. Occasionally, she would look at Rufio and strange thoughts would present themselves.

      1:00 AM

Goddamn he's cute.

   1:50 AM

I wonder how long it's been since he's seen a girl?  Hell, or if he's ever been kissed?

    2:30

He called me pretty earlier. I'm only here for two more days. He's probably thinking of getting with me before I leave..or die. What if that's what he's dreaming about? Yeah that makes sense. Why else would he let me sleep next to him?  He doesn't seem like the type to share anything. There was bound to be another bed or two to go around as well..

     At some point in the early hours of the morning though, Amanda's eyes grow too heavy and she ends up drifting off.