part four and a half: the heart aims true

AN: a crumb of Eddie before the next full part, up soon ;)

Bold: Eddie's POV

The sight of you had been unbelievable.

After he'd held the snowcone to your knee, minutes ticking by like seconds, both of your companions came stumbling over from their respective directions to ask what had happened to you.

You'd explained something about hurting your knee. He hadn't been paying much attention to the semantics as Robin rambled on about bone bruises and anti-inflammatories; Eddie was too entranced by the sight of you perched above him on the picnic table.

It felt all too familiar.

Something in his cynical heart had cracked when Robin tugged your elbow to find some water to rinse the syrup from your leg.

Eddie had snapped out of the trance when Dustin offered the same idea, pointing and giggling at the sight of red dye staining his heavy silver rings.

Even now, sitting in his trailer hours later, he wished you were still beside him.

He wished he could've stopped time at the fair, with the summer breeze brushing hair from your face. Your bubbling laughter; the Coke can pressed to your lips as he'd eventually seen you meandering around the fairgrounds with Buckley after the two of you had left him with Dustin.

Your terrible aim. Your empty toss of colored darts at a wall of balloons, trying desperately to win a stuffed bear Robin had pointed out as the two of you had passed a row of obviously-fixed games.

The bear you'd given up on winning, which now sat on the surface of his desk.

He'd placed it there carefully, chuckling at the memory of Dustin enthusiastically cheering him on hours before as he'd tossed the final dart through the last balloon.

Now, Eddie was staring like a fool at his ceiling, arms splayed out on his bed as he lay back in thought. Lost in it.

Lost in it, right up until the screech of the landline, the moment it started ringing off the hook.