Just Friends - Steddie

Steve was putting movies back on the shelves at Family Video. Robin was standing at the counter talking to customers as Eddie stood next to him, talking his ear off. Eddie looked at Steve's hand as he set Sixteen Candles back on the shelf labeled "Romance".

"Harrington, you've got some nice hands," Eddie commented out of nowhere. "Who knew you took as much care for your nails as you do your hair?" Eddie jests while he grabs Steve's hand, examining it.

Steve rolls his eyes and puts his free hand on his hips, but doesn't pull away from Eddie. "Has anyone ever told you that you have personal space issues, Munson? Or do I have to be the first?" He retorted.

"I'm choosing to ignore that comment," Eddie chuckled, "And it's a compliment! I wish my nails were this nice, but honestly I don't really care for them and they wear down from playing guitar." He let go of Steve's hand to show him his own. His nails were short with chipped black polish on them. "Y'know what your nails would be perfect for?"

"What?" Steve turned to face Eddie, annoyed at the interruption in his work.

Eddie ignored Steve's peeved tone and continued on. "Painting! You'd look so good with nail polish, and I have some at home I could use." He offered.

"No, there's no way you're painting my nails," Steve protested the idea, going back to his work.

"But you'd look so good with painted nails! It would make you like, 100% hotter," Eddie said, making Steve's cheeks go hot. "Pleaseeeee?" Eddie begged, looking at Steve, waiting for him to say yes.

Steve looked back over at him, thinking. He didn't really know how he felt about nail polish, but it would mean that he got to spend more time with Eddie. "Fine, but you're not painting them pink or glittery or anything girly."

"Yes!" Eddie pumped his fist in the air, making Steve laugh softly at his excitement. "How does my place sound, 8 tonight?" Eddie asked.

"Sounds good. Now, will you let me do my job?" Steve went back to organizing the movies, even though he would much rather spend time with Eddie.

"Fineee," he whined. "I'll see ya tonight, Harrington," he said with a wink, walking out of the store, but not before he saw the blush on Steve's face.

————————————————

"Hold still, I'm almost done"

"I don't get why this takes so long? Girls sit through this? This is taking forever."

"Hey man, you volunteered for this, so stop complaining," he paused, concentrating on his work. "Alright, one last nail and...done!" Eddie screwed the lid back onto the black nail polish bottle with his free hand, careful to not let go of Steve's freshly painted hand with the other. It had taken him nearly an hour with all of the layers and Steve's impatient squirming, but he had finally finished painting Steve's nails. They were far from perfect, with a few smudges on the sides from where Eddie tried to remove the polish that went off of his nail, but they looked good, especially on Steve. He had very nice nails to begin with, but Eddie was already convinced that Steve could pull off any look.

"Do you like it?" He tilted Steve's hand to where the boy could see the dark shade on his fingernails.

"This is...surprisingly good. I like it" Steve said with a smile as he carefully lifted his hands to admire Eddie's handiwork.

"What do you mean, 'surprisingly'? Were you not expecting me to be good at this?" Eddie laughs with mock offense in his voice. "I told you that you'd look hotter with painted nails," Eddie joked, causing Steve to blush. "Am I wrong?" Eddie asked.