Chapter Two

It took Ginny a second to pull the hat off her head and get up from the stool. Slytherin? Something had to be wrong, she was a Weasley. Weasleys were always Gryffindors. She heard shouting from the green and gold table in the back and ran to join them.

As she ran past the Gryffindor table she saw her bothers, Percy, Fred and George, looking at her and shoe looked away almost instantly. They looked disappointed, and she hated it.

She sat down at the  Slytherin table at the first open space on the bench and rubbed her eyes. She couldn't do this, she had to be brave. Weasleys were brave, no, Gryffindors were brave— Finn was neither. She looked up to find herself staring into the pale, pointed face of Draco Malfoy.

"What are you doing hear Weasley." He said coldly.

"I was sorted here." She didn't want to be messed with right now. She was trying to worry about what she was going to tell her mum.

"That's strange," Draco said, "The scum usually stays together. Braking up the family, are we Ginny?"

"Come on, Malfoy." The dark haired girl on the right of her said, "We're all in the same house now, no need to be like that.

Malfoy rolled his eyes and looked back up to the front where someone was being sorted into Hufflepuff.

"Thanks." Ginny said, looking at the girl next to her.

"No problem," She said, "we aren't all bad people. This is the house where you're supposed to make the greatest friends. Don't want Malfoy messing that up."

Ginny nodded and looked back at the front of the hall. The sorting was over, Weasley was near the end of the alphabet. Dumbledore took the stage and said a couple things before telling them they could eat.

The plates filled with food and Ginny dug in. By the time she was halfway through her first chicken leg she had already had a meaningful conversation with the girl on her left about who should have won a qudditch match that she had read about in the Prophet but not seen.

Dinner was far better than she had expected and, with the exception of Draco Malfoy, everyone was actually very nice to her. They were cool, smooth and conversationalists, something Ginny never would have expected from her years of being told that  Slytherins were all horrible people.

When dinner was over and the plates were cleared she stood and followed the prefects, walking next to a girl who thought that she was going to be put in Ravenclaw but hadn't been. She looked back at the large group of Gryffindors and found her brother Percy in the crowd but he avoided her gaze.

She turned back to the girl she had met, Alex, at tried not to think about how disappointed her parents would be if they found out about her being sorted into Slytherin.

As the line of Slytherins filed down to the common room in the dungeon, Ginny wondered what would be different right now if she had been sorted into Gryffindor, then she decided that she didn't care. This was where she had been sorted, this was where she was destined to be.