CHAPTER 3: THE SOUND

A noise makes me turn. I stop moving down the corridor and focus on the sound. Something speaking? A voice. Deep. Rhythmic. I begin walking toward the door on my left. I'm one section away from Deck C's engineering room.

The voices continue to chant. I raise my right hand and press the access button on the keypad to the right of the door. A quiet whoosh seems unnaturally loud in the otherwise still air.

Across the threshold in front of me is an empty room, aside from a tablet resting on the desk further into the room and on my right. I walk into the room and reach out to grab the tablet. The chanting coming from the speakers is not in a language I know, although it seems similar to the one that Alexander was speaking. I pick up the device and turn off the chanting. Someone had been here, someone had to have turned this on and left it running. Where had they gone? What did the chanting mean?

There were too many questions. Too many things unanswered. I place the tablet down on the desk and then exit the room and move into the corridor, then head down it. The last leg of the journey on this level. Ahead of me are the orange-flanked Engineering doors for Deck C.

I press the access button on the keypad for the door and then walk into the room. It's a small room. Directly ahead of me is a cylindrical engine as tall as I am, currently not powered. On the side of it is a small manual charge, which I access. I pull the handle down and then wind it up ten times before replacing the handle and a holographic display projects from the engine. I stand in front of the display and familiarize myself with it before raising my hand and interacting with it.

INITIALIZE POWER? the query reads.

YES. I tap the green button that pops up. The generator thrums to life, light emerging from the machine and from the lights in the room. The shadows retreat to the corners, and I stretch, feeling like I'd finally accomplished something. The holographic display changes, showing Deck D and the power that is suddenly coursing through the power lines throughout the deck. The internal sensors begin pinging things on the ship. I lean over toward it and read the readout curiously.

"An unknown power source in the landing bay?" I whisper. Now that the power is back, I begin rerouting power from life support to the lift system, which is completely unpowered. I doubt many of the things left on this deck would mind the cold from the lack of life support. Besides. The life support system would have to work to get the heat throughout the ship to comfortable levels.

"Captain, I've established power to the lifts again. There's a lift directly outside of this room that I can take down to Deck L. It was extremely easy. Please let Percy know that I appreciate his offer to help."

"Understood. Great job, Hayden. Keep your eyes peeled."

"Yes sir."

I step out of the room and consider the layout of the ship. The armory was only a deck below, and there was an access hatch close by. Or I could take the lift that I had just activated. Hmm.

I turn left and walk 4 steps before I'm in front of the lift. I press the keypad button to activate it and the doors open, showing an elevator stained in blood. I look at the blood and realize that it has yet to coagulate. Unless it's merely a blood-like substance, similar to what may have spilled from that flesh mound I'd annihilated earlier. I step into the elevator, feeling the liquid squish between my toes. I wrinkle my face as I turn around.

What a disgusting feeling. It isn't even a strangely satisfying feeling. It just feels cold and gross. I shudder and quickly tap the button on the right side of the elevator to begin the descent.

DECK D AGAIN

The lights in the lift flicker while it descends. I look at the light with irritation until the doors open and I step out, leaving bloody footprints behind me.