vi.

You recoil in shock, backing away from the edge of the water. "No, I can't," you say, reflexively rejecting his offer, ignoring the possibility that you could become a siren. "I have to go now."

"Go? But why so soon? It isn't anywhere close to dinner time." Felix pouts again, his bottom lip shaking in such a way that you knew it was not genuine. You stand up quickly, not wanting to give in to his charms.

"I have a lot to prepare for," you reply, somewhat coldly, and Felix slowly pushes himself back into the deeper water as you dust the sand grains off of your skirts and sling the satchel over your shoulder.

"Will you come back?" he asks, voice small and pathetic as he watches you begin to walk off.

"Yes," you say, the word leaving your mouth before you can rationalize it and say no, as that would be the proper choice. You hurry away from the cave, hearing small splashes as Felix presumably swims away, and you want to hit yourself for being so naïve, for falling for his charms so easily. You were supposed to be taking control, asking questions, gaining knowledge about sirens. You were supposed to be the one gaining from this interaction. But he did it so flawlessly, so naturally. His pouts and little actions that made your heart flutter distracted you from your studying, your observing. It made you want to kiss him instead, this odd but beautiful creature. And you weren't sure if you liked it or not. Talking to sirens was one thing, kissing them was another.

As you reach the path, you sit down on a fallen log and dust off your feet and ankles, making sure that no stubborn grains of sand stick between your toes before pulling your lacy stockings back on and stuffing your chilly feet back into your slippers. As Felix had said, the waters did seem warmer today, the vibrant sun making sure of that. But it was still autumn, and the air was crisp. You were glad that your outfit had been seasonally appropriate, the thick layers of fabric of your dress keeping most of the wind out.

Felix had also been correct about the fact that dinner was still a little while away. It was just nearing late afternoon, but you knew that your parents would be livid if you were even a moment late, and you had told your mother that you were simply off on a stroll. Strolls, proper ones, do not take hours.

The castle was busier than ever as you returned, more servants sweeping the area. The grounds looked pristine, more so than usual, and you watched gardeners hurry around with clippers and pruners, shaping the hedges just right before dashing off to clip a stray blossom that they deemed imperfect. You rubbed the back of your neck, feeling a slight sunburn. You had never spent so much time outside, and even though you had not been out long, the sun had reached your delicate skin.

Your mother spotted you as you rounded the corner, and she rushed over to you, muttering to herself as she plucked stray twigs from your hair, tossing them to the side. A servant quickly picked up the mess from the floor, waiting to see if there were any other pieces coming their way. "A lovely walk, I presume?" your mother asked, patting down your skirts as she made her way around you.

"Lovely indeed," you replied stiffly. Your brother and sister entered the room, both equally dressed up.

"It's so early," your sister snapped, "this is closer to an afternoon tea, not a dinner."

"Our guests arrived early, and therefore will be served early," your mother responded sharply, and your sister looked surprised at her spiky tone. Usually you were the only one who received such cold responses from your mother. "I find their dedication to punctuality endearing." She sniffed approvingly at your appearance after fluffing you in certain areas and smoothing you down in others. "Now, come. They are due to arrive any moment now. Our guards have just reported them passing by the village."