Book 1: Chapter 6: Winter solstice

(Episode 7 and 8: Winter solstice part 1 and 2)

(Trigger warnings: Minor violence)

The gang were sitting in Appa's saddle as they flew across the sky. Aang was sitting in the front, Sokka was sitting in the back with Miko, trying to braid her hair as she played with Momo, and Katara were lying in the middle, looking down at the view.

"Those clouds looks so soft, don't they? Like you just just jump down and land on a big, soft, cottony heap" Katara sighed dreamily, causing Miko to look over at her with a smile.

"Maybe you should give it a try" Sokka said with a mocking smile. Miko jabbed him lightly in the ribs with her elbow, letting out a annoyed huff at Sokka's behaviour.

"Oh you're hilarious" Katara snapped sarcastically, turning to look at him. He bit his lip to hide the smile that crept onto her face at the sigh of her brother with the older girl.

"I'll try it!" Aang exclaimed, then he jumped out of the saddle and into the clouds. Miko laughed at him as the three older kids popped their heads over the edge of the saddle to look after him.

Aang fell through the clouds, and not long after, they'd lost sigh of him. Then suddenly they hear the sound of a glider snapping behind them, and turn around to face a now soaked Aang as he landed back on Appa.

"Turns out, clouds are made of water" the young boy said with a wide grin. He looked down at his clothing only to bring his fists together, blowing himself dry.

"You've gotta teach me some of these tricks soon Aang" Miko smiled, and leaned into Sokka's chest. She had been very tired since they left her old village, and she blamed it on the pregnancy.

"Of course" Aang exclaimed. Aang and Miko were then engaged in a conversation about different airbending styles, but they were cut short by Katara, who pointed to something behind Aang, who were sitting in the front of the saddle.

"What's that?" she asked, her brows furrowed in confusion. The three others looked up from what they were doing and over to where Katara was pointing. On the ground underneath them was a huge patch of land, which looked like it had been burned down.

"It looks like a scar" Sokka muttered, squinting his eyes trying to see better. Aang quickly placed himself between Appa's horns and took his reins, steering the huge bison towards the ground. The four friends climbed of Appa, taking in the burned forest around them. Momo placed himself on Miko's shoulder, and she patted him to keep her attention away from the destruction.

"Listen, it's so quiet. There's no life anywhere" Sokka said from where he stood beside his sister. Miko walked over to him, and when he saw her sad expression, he brought her into a small side-hug.

"Hey Aang, are you okay?" Katara asked suddenly, and Miko looked over to her youngest friend. Aang was standing a short distance away from them, his shoulders sagged and defeated.

"Look here. The Fire Nation. Those evil savages makes me sick, they have no for-" Sokka complained as he spotted footsteps after Fire Nation soldiers, but Miko cut him of with a shush, hoping he would shut his mouth.

"What? I'm not allowed to be angry?" he hissed back. Miko felt her heart speed up at the angry tone in his voice, but she his it and just pointed over towards Aang with a sad expression. The young monk where kneeling, touching the ashes on the ground.

"Why would anyone do this? How could I let this happen?" they could hear Aang whisper faintly, and Miko felt downcast, it wasn't Aang's fault that they burned down the forest. And Katara seemed to be thinking the same.