31) Bad Romance, Part 4

Katrina left Minerva House feeling considerably dejected. Going to Sage had been a huge waste of time, and to make matters worse, now she couldn't even go to Chiron for help either.

She was considering just giving up and returning to Vesta House, when she got an idea as she passed Venus House on her way back.

Ally, the leader of the Aphrodite kids.

She was far from Katrina's favorite person at school: there was just something off-putting about like being positive was the most important thing in the world. Despite their differences, Katrina sensed that Ally genuinely tried to do the right thing, and that she could always depend on her to be kind and helpful.

It seemed worth a shot. 

This was Katrina's first time inside Venus House, and though she had expected the interior to be beautiful as it was, she hadn't anticipated that it would be so...'soulless' was probably the best word for it?

It wasn't too long before Ally showed up, dressed in a blue and orange outfit that matched her hair, its vibrant colors providing a nice contrast to the austere whiteness of the Venus House common area. 

"Well this is...quite a surprise," she said when she saw who had come to visit. "Katrina Rose...what can I do for you?

Katrina retold what had happened starting from their race to their final class of the day up to when Valerie told her about her newfound obsession with the boy dressed in black. She chose to leave out her conversation with Sage.

"Alright...so I think I was able to follow all of that," Ally said, nodding along as Katrina finished her story, "So what exactly is it that you need from me?"

"You're the head of Venus House right? I'm guessing you're familiar with all the Aphrodite kids and their powers, can you think of any that could've caused this?"

"Yes, several actually," Ally replied, "There are numerous sources of love magic that may have caused this, and they aren't even limited to Venus House either."

"Really?" Katrina lit up. She hadn't been paranoid or overthinking after all, "Great! Let's go ask around!"

"Wait!" Ally said, frowning, "I can't just begin interrogating the other students over something like this. How are you so sure that foul play was involved?"

Katrina repeated to Ally the same explanation she had given Sage a few minutes earlier.

"Hmm..." Ally hummed to herself as she thought about what Katrina just said, "Could it be possible that this is just a regular crush? Because that's what it sounds like to me. After all, you know love manifests itself in different ways for each person right?"

"I mean, that's what Sage said, but-"

Too late, she realized her mistake.

"Oh, so you've talked to Sage about this!" said Ally, "What did she say exactly?"

Katrina groaned inwardly.

"She said it was probably just a crush and that I should stop 'trying' to be right all the time...whatever that's supposed to mean."

"Well," Ally said gently, "Sage is the smartest kid in school. I think it would be wise to trust her judgment...and it also probably wouldn't hurt to take her advice either."

No! Katrina thought. She had been so close to finding this mystery boy.

"So that's it?" she said bitterly, "You're not going to help me just because you think Sage knows my own powers better than I do?"

Ally looked at her sympathetically. 

"I know it's not what you wanted to hear, and I'm truly sorry. But if you ever want to talk about it, you can feel free to come talk about it with me."