Chapter 3: I Never Knew Love Tasted Like Spaghetti

Dinner was by far the most awkward family meal the Montgomery family had had since Steve's mother had found out her husband was cheating on her. This meal was less family cheating and more two teenagers making love eyes at one another when the other wasn't looking. Steve's father Jarenn was oblivious, but his mother Patty was not. She could see every little look between Steve and Andrew, and even though Steve hadn't told her, it was clear that her son had a crush on the shy, nerdy boy that sat on the opposite side of the kitchen table. It was also clear that Andrew had a crush right back, but it wasn't like she was going to call it out while they were all eating. That was just plain rude, and maybe the boys weren't ready yet. Maybe they hadn't even confessed. Patty knew she was going to have to ask Steve about the whole afterwards as to not make dinner even more tense. It was crazy enough with Steve's father on the brink of moving out, and with trying to get Andrew to live with them. Andrew couldn't stop looking at Steve, glancing up every once in a while from his spaghetti to look at the boy across the table. He was still wondering if Steve almost kissing him was a joke, the timing of it and his mother calling them down for dinner seemed a little too perfect to be a coincidence. Steve was doing the same thing as Andrew, somehow whenever Andrew was looking down at his food. Suddenly, the timing matched up and the two looked up together, meeting eyes for a split second before blushing and looking down at their food. Patty, who had seen it all, was trying to hold in her laughter as the two boys rushed to finish their food after the awkward interaction. Andrew, for a lack of more elegant words, inhaled his food faster than the Flash and Quicksilver combined, excusing himself up to Steve's room to "grab something", with Steve following just as quickly behind him, yelling "I'll clean up all the plates later, Mom!" However, Patty couldn't care less about her son doing the dishes and decided to give him the night off, well aware of what he was going to do upstairs with Andrew. She only hoped if it was going that far that Steve had some sort of protection he could use, but she quickly took that thought out of her head. Her husband deserved to give them the sex talk after all he'd done behind her back. She smiled to herself, grabbing the empty plates and walking into the kitchen. 

Upstairs, both boys sat on the bed, physically and mentally nervous as hell to finish what they had started downstairs, even confident charmer Steve. However, after a minute of staring at each other, Steve broke the silence, scooting closer to Andrew and putting his hand softly on Andrew's cheek, rubbing it in a clockwise motion. Andrew's breath hitched, hoping Steve wasn't buttering him up just to punch him in the stomach and call him a fag or push him off the bed. It was easy for anyone to see, he was purely terrified. He wanted this, of course he did, but the world had rarely ever given him what he wanted without him paying the price, so he didn't drop his fear. Steve, on the other hand, wasn't afraid anymore. He wanted to love Andrew, give him a better home, give him a better life and a better extended family, all he really wanted was Andrew. So, with all the bravery he could summon, he leaned in, finally closing the seemingly endless gap between them, his lips meeting Andrew's in a soft, short kiss. Andrew felt like he was in heaven, despite not believing in a God, leaning into the kiss, silently begging Steve in his mind not to stop. Steve wrapped his arms around Andrew, and the blond did the same, both of them too blissed out to think of anything but each other. Steve leaned forward towards Andrew, accidentally causing the older boy to lose his balance and fall back on the bed with Steve on top of him, their lips still slightly connected. They continued to kiss, hands exploring each other's upper bodies, Andrew letting out a low noise every once in a while. After a few minutes, they broke apart to take a breath, still reeling from the high they'd just experienced.  Andrew was the first to speak, his voice shakey. 

"Holy shit, dude.... that- that was amazing! T-Thank you, um... you don't ever have to do that again if you don't want to-" Steve cut him off by climbing back on top of him and connecting their lips, trying to ingrain in Andrew's thick skull that this was all he wanted to do right now.