Chapter 6

The night before she went to bed, it was broadcasted that there will be a heavy rainfall.

Carla woke up early to go to the grocery store, in hopes that the rain wouldn't catch up. She planned on going, because they didn't have enough stock. Stupid as it sounds, Carla didn't mind that there might be a high chance that she might get caught up by the rain.

She went on her way to the grocery store and luckily, the sky still looked fine, no signs of a heavy rainfall like what was said in the news.

After almost an hour, she finished grocery shopping and the moment she was about to step out, droplets of rain started falling, until it started pouring. She ran to her car with her groceries and went on with her way.

Carmen just woke up as it felt chilly in her room. She left her room and saw it was still dark. She opened the lights and tried searching for her wife.

She went to the kitchen, but no Carla was found. She thought maybe she was in her room, still sleeping, because Carmen knew she also didn't have work due to the rainfall.

She was resting on her couch while watching the news for about 30mins now, and she felt her heart skipped a beat when it was reported that there were car crashes that happened earlier this morning, because of the heavy rain.

She noticed that her wife was still not awake in her room. Carmen waited, and waited, and convinced herself that she's just in her room, peacefully sleeping. She wanted to check up on her wife for a while now, so she did.

She walked up the stairs and slowly twisted the knob, not wanting to be seen, to only see no one. She pushed the door open and saw her wife's bedroom, cleaned and tidied up, but no signs of her wife.

She cursed under her breath and paced down the stairs to get her phone. As soon as she did, she went to her contacts and first texted her wife.

After minutes of waiting for her reply, she started bombarding her with messages

After minutes of waiting for her reply, she started bombarding her with messages. Carla usually replies to her immediately after she sent her a message which worried her even more.

 Carla usually replies to her immediately after she sent her a message which worried her even more

She waited again, but still no reply from her wife. She needed assurance to know that she's safe, and she'll even accept a dot reply from Carla to at least know that she's safe and sound.

She was pacing back and forth, while calling Carla's number. Panick was starting to rise up from her system, after every minute Carla wasn't able to pick up the call. Until she finally did.

"Carla! Where the hell are you?!"

She exclaimed and felt relieved after her wife finally picked up. She couldn't understand what Carla was saying, because the signal wasn't good from her wife's side.

All she understood was groceries and after that, a bunch of choppy answers from her wife.

"Bakit ka pa nag-groceries! You can do that anytime, bakit ngayon pa-"

Carmen wasn't able to finish when she heard a loud thunder and Carla's choppy voice, squealing. She was about to talk again when her wife hung up. She tried calling her again, but her wife didn't pick up after that.

A few moments later, she heard their gates open. She ran to their glass window to see her wife just got out of the car, holding plastic bags of groceries.

Carla closed the car door and proceeded to walk to their front door. She was about to reach for the knob, but it swung open, revealing her wife seething with anger and frustration.

"Hun, hindi kita maintindihan kanina. Ang hina nung signal.", She explained, but her wife was still looking at with a menacing look written all over her face.

"Get in right now!", Carmen ordered.

Carla was taken aback with what her wife was acting. She walked in and went towards the kitchen to put the groceries on the counter.

Carmen was calming herself down as she followed her wife to the kitchen. She saw the latter calmy putting the groceries to it's place like nothing happened.

"Papatayin mo ba talaga ako sa nerbyos?", Carmen started while glaring at her wife.

"Ha? Bakit hun, may nangyari ba?", Carla asked, bewildered. She didn't understand that her wife was pertaining to her and her sudden trip to the grocery store.

"You weren't answer my texts and you even hung up on me!"

"Kumalma ka nga.", Carla gave her wife a glass of water, but the latter didn't take it. She sighed, "Mahina nga signal di'ba? I couldn't answer you kasi I was driving. Traffic kaya natagalan, hon."

"Why did you even go there in the first place? Alam mong delikado when it comes to driving during a heavy rainfall!"

Carla felt bad when she realized her wife might've been worrying about her. Her wife didn't take her apologies and instead made the latter more furious.

"What were you even thinking-No, were you even thinking?!"

Carla frowned, because of what her wife said to her. She was hurt and even though she knew she was at fault, her wife's words still hurt her.

"Bakit ba parang concerned na concerned ka?", Carla scoffed and looked back to meet her wife's eyes. "Di ba nga galit ka sa'kin?"

"Dapat nga masaya ka eh. Kasi kung may mangyari 'man sa'kin, makakalaya ka na. Wala ka nang kailangang intindihin na asawa!"

Carmen was in shock with what her wife said. She never wished for anything bad to happen to her wife. She was offended that her wife sees her like that and was angered that Carla wouldn't mind that something bad might happen to her own life.

"You take that back!", Carmen scowled at Carla, but the latter remained unbothered.

Carla didn't answer her and instead, rolled her eyes. She was about to walk past Carmen's side, when the latter suddenly stopped her by holding her arm.

"Hindi mo alam 'yang sinasabi mo.", Carmen muttered.

Carla's face softened when her wife looked like she was about to burst into tears.

"Alam ko yung sinasabi ko, Carmen. Dahil yun yung pinaparamdam mo."

"Napapagod na rin ako na magkunwaring okay lang tayo, na okay lang sa akin yung kung anong meron tayo ngayon.", Carla said and removed Carmen's hand from her.

"Sabihin mo nga sa akin. Meron ka pa bang balak na maayos tayo? Ano pa bang gusto mong gawin ko para lang mapatawad mo na ako?", Carla asked her and after a few seconds of silence, she left the kitchen, leaving Carmen deeply thinking about what her wife said.