Party

"Psst." I heard from close by me, jolting my brain out of the book I was reading. "Psst." I heard it again. I look around only to find bookshelves staring back at me. Suddenly, Cedric rounded the corner, with a singular daisy in his hands. 

"Sorry if I startled you, I didn't mean to." He said.

"No worries." I assure him.

"I'm sorry I missed the Quidditch match. The one time I miss it and I wasn't able to save you this time." He laughed nervously. He sat himself in the seat beside me at my library table. 

"It's not a problem."

"But you're okay right?"

I nod. "They wanted to keep me in the infirmary longer, to make sure I had no internal injuries from the fall, but I told them that my O.W.L. was coming up and I needed to study. So they let me out early with a warning to come back if I feel funny at all."

"Well I am glad you're okay." He said while setting the daisy on top of the book I had open. 

"Thanks Ced." I say with a smile. I don't know how, but I didn't believe Cedric knew about Draco and I. Maybe he was a bit naive, or just not observant of the chemistry Draco and I have. Cedric eyed my lips. I could feel the tension he was creating between us.

"You look lovely today, Elle." He stammers, slowly inching in closer to me. I back away ever so slightly not to offend him. 

"Thank you." I respond. He leans in more, resting his arm on the back of my chair now for leverage. I begin to feel a bit uncomfortable. I was dating Draco. Although Cedric didn't know that, I still couldn't be this close to him. It felt wrong now that I was with him. 

"Elle," He whispers, creeping in closer faster than I can back away. His arm was wrapped around my back now instead of the chair while is other hand laid on the book directly in front of me. I felt trapped, like I was his hostage and I couldn't move. I was too startled to know what to do.

"Get your dirty fucking hands away from her." Cedric halts and turns his head, allowing me to see Draco directly behind him, his wand pointed at Cedric's head. "Stand up."

Cedric stands and faces Draco. He was taller than Draco, but my man looked a bit pissed and looked more intimidating, in my opinion of course. I was able to catch my breath as the two lads had a stare down. "Sorry Malfoy, I just figured someone should be treating her right." Okay, maybe he did know and he was just making an advance on me to make a point.

Draco huffed and with his other hand threw the chocolate frogs he had stuffed in his pocket on the table in front of me and gave me a very quick smile before turning back to Cedric. His wand rather gently came closer to his neck. "She is well taken care of, Diggory. Don't ever touch her again."

With a deep breath from Cedric, he pushed passed Draco, not turning back.

"Are you okay?" Asked Draco, shoving his wand back in his coat. I nod. "Good. I got you more chocolates as a good luck on your exams." 

"Thank you." I blush at his generosity.

"Alright I've got to run." He brushed my arm with his hand as he walked passed and he was gone. I was still too in shock to continue my studies. Why was Cedric being so forceful all of a sudden? I thought my body language had been clear that I did not want him to kiss me. I was thankful for him as a friend, but he had no right to make a move on me when I did not want it. I buried my head in my book, removing the daisy from the pages and placing it on the other side of the table. 

~~~

"I PASSED MY O.W.L.S!! I PASSED MY FUCKING O.W.L.S!!" I bursted into the Slytherin common room, where many Slytherins were residing. They all cheered as each student shared their passing grades. I ran to Iris, who shared with me that she passed hers too. "We are gonna be excellent next year." I proudly say to her and she nodded in agreeance. I scanned the room for a sign of Draco until I finally spotted the platinum head of hair on the other side of the room.

I make my way to him and tell him the good news. "That's great." He didn't seem too excited. In fact, he looked rather distracted. 

"Yeah it is great." I say with a bit of inflection in my tone. He looked back down at me. 

"Sorry, I've got to go. But that's great." He repeated himself and practically pushed me out of the way. What the fuck was his problem tonight? Oh well. I passed my exams, so I was going to enjoy the night and not waste it chasing him. 

I ran up to my dorm with Iris to get ready. The Slytherins were having a bit of a party in the common room to celebrate those who passed all of their exams. I was excited. Since the weather was warmer, and it was a party we were going to, I decided to finally wear the short green dress my parents sent me for Christmas. Even if Draco didn't see me in it, I was still going to look nice for a Slytherin party. 

We made our way back down the stairs, Iris wearing a cute black dress next to me. The music had already started and fellow housemates were already dancing. There was a table full of what looked like butterbeer ready to be served. That's the first place I went. Once a cup was in my hand, I was ready to dance until the night ended. 

I danced with Iris as upbeat party music played one after another, sipping butterbeer every so often. I kept going back for more and more refills, and the bowl of butterbeer never stopped refilling my cup. I had lost count of how much I had had to drink. I don't typically go this crazy.

Songs with heavy bass played often, and those were the most fun to dance to. The floor became more and more crowded with students, squeezing us all together like sardines. The feeling of pure tranquility began to grow in me. This was the most fun I had had in awhile. No more studying, no more drama. Just dancing and having a great time. 

I feel arms wrap around me from behind, swaying with me to the heavy beat of the music. I lift my hand up behind his head, pulling his face into my neck. 

"I was wondering where you went." I tilt my head back with my eyes closed as he mingled his hands with mine at the front of my dress. 

"I've been right here." He said. That wasn't Draco's voice. I spin around to find Montague dancing awfully close to me. 

"What's the matter with you?" I pull away from him.

"Hey hey now, don't get feisty with me." He tried to wrap his arm around me again and pull me in, but I shoved his hand away. I back away from him, passed Iris, towards the door. 

"Where are you going?" Iris notices me leaving.

"I can't breathe. I need air." I say, exiting the scene. In the halls, I caught my breath, but I did not want to return back to the common room. It was after hours, and I really wasn't supposed to be out and about, so I needed to find somewhere to go - and quick.

I scurried toward the Astronomy tower. That had been my place to go for relaxation a few times every week. No one was there most of the time, so it was always quiet and peaceful. 

Fortunately, I arrived at the top of the tower without being caught. I had absolutely no idea how a teacher didn't catch me roaming the halls so late, but I was thankful they didn't. I needed a moment to process what had just happened. 

I stood against one of the pillars on the edge of the tower and leaned my back against it, wondering why Montague had just made a move on me out nowhere. We had always had a decent relationship during Quidditch practices, but I never found him flirty when he spoke to me. I didn't think he was into me like that. Whoosh, I hear from beside me.

I turn my head in the direction of the sudden noise to find Harry and Dumbledore, who had appeared out of thin air.