Chapter 4

Roseanne found herself sitting on a chair in a corner of a room back in St Petersburg. She curiously looked around, and realised that  her father who was not related to her by blood was sitting in another corner, sipping his usual morning coffee while reading the daily newspaper. While her mother was sitting on a couch kitting. And again, like usual, they were treating her as if she did not exist at all. After all, she was not like her older sister Daphne.

A beautiful girl with strawberry blond hair tied in a bun then walked out from the kitchen, it was Roseanne's older half sister.

Daphne gave her a smile that was as bright as sunshine, " Dobroye utro Rozi!" She greeted in Russian.

Yeah... 

It was just a useless story...

After all, they were the only ones who acknowledged her existence back then...

The office was the same as always, with the same premium wooden desk, the chairs, the bookshelves and the huge painting of the queen of England, that was hung on the wall just behind the the desk where the present owner now sat.

Unlike the previous owner, the new owner looked younger and a little bit more civilised.

Roseanne opened the door without knocking with Nadia following behind her.

"Long time no see, Mycroft." Roseanne stood in the centre of the office, looking around in dismay, "I guess this place never changes, formidable as always."

Mycroft looked up, surprised. " Rose... and Nadia?"

Roseanne smug, "I'm back, Mycy.

Settling on the couches, the three of them sipped the tea that was prepared after hand after Roseanne and Nadia appeared at the manor unannounced. Mycroft first smiled at Nadia, "You have become taller since the last time I saw you, little lady.  I hope that you like England."

Nadia smiled back, her eyes shone, " The place is very well developed, as expected of the reign of her majesty queen Victoria. Though I still prefer Moscow, for I like the architecture more."

"You are very well spoken for your age." Mycroft commented, still smiling at the little blonde. "Are you interested in attending a boarding school here, Nadia? I know a girl's school that is equivalent to Eton."

"Mycroft." Roseanne called Mycroft's name, her eyes narrowed a bit on Mycroft's suggestion.

Giving Mycroft a coy look, Nadia said, "I think it is too early for me, Uncle Mycroft. I just want to stay with Mama right now." Then, she stood up gave the two adults a very bright smile. "I'm afraid that it is time for me to step out, as both of you must have things to catch up on."

"Then while we are talking, you can do whatever you want in the parlor. Your mother used to be fond of that place. I will call for a maid to direct the way."

"That will be well appreciated. Thank you."

The parlor...

Nostalgia warmed up Roseanne's chest.

"ENOLA! YOU IMBECILE!" A thirteen year old Sherlock Holmes yelled out at the top of his lungs, taunted by Roseanne's grin, "Once I'm down, you will pay for it!"

"Keep you volume down, Sherly! I am going to go deaf!" Mycroft, who was carrying Sherlock like a sack of potatoes, ordered, giving out a dark aura that caused Sherlock to sweat dropped.

"Yeah, I am going to be deaf soon..." Roseanne hummed, pretending to be oblivious to Sherlock who had an irk mark on his head. "You shut up! Didn't you promise that you will not tell Mycroft that I skipped classes!?"

Hearing that, Mycroft suddenly stopped, causing Sherlock to hit his head onto his back. "Hey! That hurts! Seriously, stupid Mycroft?"

"Wait... You skipped classes, Sherlock Holmes?" Mycroft questioned, turning his head around with a very scary look on his face." That means... this piece of work is your doing, Enola Roseanne Holmes?"

Roseanne gulped a piece of drawing flew from Mycroft's hand and landed on her feet.

She cursed under her breath.

But unfortunately, before she could run, Mycroft grabbed her by the collar and dragged the duo to the parlor room for their punishment

Interlacing her fingers together, Roseanne stared into Mycroft's eyes, her expression was both serious and business-like. "Director, did you still remember what the previous Lord Holmes had promised?" Speaking formally to each other during business time was a rule set by a man none other that Morland Holmes. In this set-up, instead of talking to each other like siblings, both of them would be treating each other as an officer and a fellow agent.

With harden gaze, Mycroft replied flatly, "Of course. You wish to investigate Daphne Evans's case while at the same time spying on the illegal transactions that 'they' have done."

Roseanne nodded, "I have a list of suspects here. Also, they are now distributing a new type of opium from their other base in St Petersburg. A more toxic one. We have to stop the opium from spreading to the provinces and high society before it is too late."

"That may be a bit troublesome since I doubt that the military will make a move. For the fact that the drugs from India are secretly handled by some high ranking noble that have great influence on the congress, or even the military itself." Mycroft said, frowning. " Haa... Those mafias are going to make me depend on stomach medicine for the rest of my life."

Roseanne shrugged, "Well that is too bad. Then how should we handle this? Using the special unit? After all, if they discover ties between the mafia and the military, there might a political fight between the military and the council. Things will get troublesome by then." She took another sip from her tea, "It can be a state crisis."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Cedric..."

Cedric's head poke out from his blanket once he heard the familiar voice, "What is it?"

Louis walked in with a tray of white soup and some ham sandwiches. "You missed dinner, so I am sending you supper. You need to eat in order to grow tall." He said, putting the tray on the desk before moving closer to Cedric.

Knowing that Louis was trying to close their gap, Cedric rolled away as he tried not to let him see his face. "I am not a child." He rebuked, face hidden beneath his blanket.

"You are still six, so you are still a child." Louis replied in a matter of fact way, "William has his own reasons."

"If he has his own reasons, he should have told me long time ago." Cedric said sharply, finally turning his head to face Louis, "He already knows that I am not a normal six years old."

"He knows it. Which was why he wanted to keep you in the dark."

"But why?" Cedric questioned, almost shouting.

" You will know it in the future." Louis  calmly said, his tone deep. He then filled up a spoon with soup.

"Now say ahh"

Embarrassed, Cedric snatched the spoonful of soup and swallowed it.

Seeing this, Louis chuckled a bit.

All seemed to be well...

For now.