The Climacteric

What the fuck– yes, indeed that’s the only words off the cuff he could comprehend for the moments after learning the veracity of the origin story why he had been to be summon in this era. 

Indeed, himself. The same name, same body, same person requests the old Gengai before he takes the old tragedy path for keeping the other stay alive and safe. Not entirely the old man's fault for granting the Gintoki in this era to summon him so that he could travel to the future to save the world he failed to protect. 

Plus, a ticket free for the old man ranting over his invention almost completely to be destroyed after five years putting so much effort spent to build the greatest invention he had made. 

Let's not forget about how he was being transported to the future only to be haunted by the specters of the past.

Glancing a glimpse to the sleepy young boy on the sofa back, Gintoki perks to the old Gengai as he voices, resuming the explanation. "Before you left, you asked me to build the Time Pirate. If you never came back, I was told to use this to summon you here… in order to have you save the world that you failed to save.

What a selfish bastard, isn't he? Not even noticed about his pregnant wife and the unexpected born while he was gone, leaving them behind. What kind of husband dares, abandoning them while his family needs him?"

Don't think he knew about her pregnancy and if he is, the outcome will remain the same and more reason for him to leave her. Gintoki's thoughts, as both of the men spent a while staring at the innocent child, his hand as exchange became the pillow under his head, facing the face towards them with eyes shut tightly, lost in his dreamland.

Gengai finished his drink before he got up, nearing the Time Pirate who was sitting lifeless on the other sofa and wrapped its arm around his shoulder, struggling to stand up and finally they were already on the entrance. 

"Geez, do you have any idea how much hell I went through to build these junks? You're going to give me a richly rewarded handsomely. In the future, it is. And think thoroughly before doing a reckless act."

Just left the two of them, the future old hag Otose and the Gintoki from the past era, comfortable silence creeping in between them, Otose's smoke flashes into the air. She passed her look to the picture of Gintoki, framing in the photo frame with his usual big loose stupid face and his pinky finger digging snot.

"What an utterly tiresome man you are. You always have been. If you must resent something, resent your own character. Hiding behind that disguise while facing your own copycat and spouse, how pathetic father and husband are you?"

Not like he's gonna withstand the old woman's words. His future wife and future child easily shattered out the wall he has been built since he came here, as if the tiny bug on his forehead doing nothing to fake his character. Maybe he is pathetic, but that world shall directly spit, launched to the Gintoki in this era.

And there comes the next day. Sun arises, noting the new day has begun, starting fresh and maybe restarting the new life of humanity. Putting the frame and two cups of glass on the table in his office, Gintoki poured the same amount of sake filling the empty. 

"I don't resent it at all. Sure, you might have failed to protect the world. But you know what? You did protect my world."

A slight sound of a sliding door coming from his room disturbed his thoughts. The familiar young boy still in his pajamas walking out to the living room, close the gap between the two. Scratching his sleepy eyes, he muttered half consciously. "Papa? You are going somewhere?"