GOLDEN GIRL

CATALINA SWAN was raised to be perfect by a woman who's essence crackled like electricity across her fingertips

CATALINA SWAN was raised to be perfect by a woman who's essence crackled like electricity across her fingertips. When Grandma Swan held enough power in her pinky to bring waves crashing down on the city who was to expect her to accept anything but perfection ( tough love had always been her M.O ). So Catalina, aged eleven, could always be found in Grandma Swans back garden - ancient books surrounding her like a crowd flocking to a celebrity - mutters of incantations reeling from her lips until she was blue in the face.

Catalina supposed she should thank her. She wouldn't have the powers she did today if Grandma Swan had let her frolic at the beach with others her age on rare sunny days.

Perfection never lasted for very long, though, and devastation wracked through her Grandmother when the fog lifted and it turned out Cata was just a girl ( a girl who could set fire to things with just her eyes, but a girl nonetheless ).

What do you want to be when you're older? Her mother had asked one evening as her eldest daughter sat at the dining table, eyes glued to the book that sat in front of her. To be happy.

Oh honey, don't we all.

It was something in her voice that made her tear her eyes away from the book, dog earring the book as she looked to her mother who was stood above the stove. She was crying.

Not a week later her mum packed her bags, up and left in the middle of the night with Isabella in tow. Catalina woke to her mother leant over her bed, glossy eyes and a choked voice; Are you coming? She knew the answer even before Catalina shook her head, she'd always had a weird affinity with the small town. Love you, mom. See you soon. Renee nodded tearfully, ducking down to hold one of her daughters close, while the other waited patiently in the car; bleary eyed and drowsy. Despite Isabella's initial tears, a phone call the next day consoled her.

Couldn't just leave Dad, Izzy. We'll see each other soon. You left your favourite book here anyway, so I need to give you that. Love you. When Catalina tiptoed out of her room as she heard the deafening crack of the door as it slammed shut, like an exclamation point to all the thoughts that ran through her head at a hundred miles per hour, she found her father sat at the top of the stairs his body racked with sobs.

She said nothing as she sat beside him, leaning into his side. He said nothing as he wrapped his arm around her, as her hand lifted to wipe his tears. We're going to be okay Catalina whispered in the darkness but was met with no reply, instead her fathers hand tightened around her shoulder.

When the pair finally decided to move, and Charlie tucked his daughter into bed just like any other night, he smiled down at her Don't know what i would have done if my golden girl had left.

And that was the end of her parents. and Catalina didn't really care if she were being honest because they were happier. Her mother would've died if she stayed in this town a second longer.

So Catalina stayed with her father for a while.

She went to Forks elementary and spent her mornings dancing to the radio with her father, her weekends spent down at the reservation while her father fished, with Sam Uley or Jacob Black or really whoever was free, because this was the reservation and everyone knew everyone.

She'd visit her Gran, who lived but two houses away who filled her head with stories of witches and vampires and wolves far too large to be considered normal.

Like said, Catalina was just a girl - who no matter how busy with enchantments in her Gran's back garden - would always find time to ignore the homework that she always pinky promised Charlie she would do to run down to the beach with the friends she knew she'd love forever. Always find time to melt the boys heart who had captured her attention most recently. Too busy sending soft smiles to the hot headed boy she'd come to love.

She stayed with her dad at least until highschool when Isabella needed her most.
Don't worry old man Cata had smiled back before you know it.