CHAPTER 10

My eyes fluttered open and I frowned at the darkness around me not sure where I was, and then I remembered. I was in my new home. Eric's home. I sat up on the bed looking around the dark room as I realized the moon was out already. I hadn't realized that I had dozed off.......

I swung my legs off the bed to the floor in an attempt to stand up.

On ... the.... floor.

Wait a minute. I thought as I sat down again, I had slept off sitting on the floor, how did I get on the bed? Did I wake up amidst sleep? I wondered as my nose caught a faint scent that had almost faded.

Eric.

Eric was here? I thought as I immediately got off the bed, groping around in the darkness for a while looking for the light switch. I soon found it and switched it on, before looking around the room, marveling at its elegance and beauty.

A slight knock on the door got me turning to it in curiosity, I opened it to find a young girl about my age staring at me. She had short dark hair and a lot of freckles on her face making her look like a cute little baby. I smiled at her and she bowed a little.

"Lady Silveen, the Alpha asked that I escort you for dinner."

I smiled in excitement as I nodded about to follow her but froze suddenly as I remembered that his mother and Layla would probably be there. I took a step back. She looked at me with curious eyes obviously noticing my display of reluctance.

"Is there a problem?" she asked her voice as soft as velvet.

"What is your name?" I asked trying to change the topic. There was no way I was explaining how I felt to a girl I just met but I liked her and I hoped to be her friend. She smiled.

"Cecilia."

"It's a beautiful name."

"Thank you lady Silveen. Now we need to hurry, we can't afford to keep the Alpha waiting."

I frowned. "You see Cecil, I won't be able to make it to dinner, I have a stomach ache. I think I would just rest." I said finding solitude in my old trick.

"Oh, lady Silveen. Shall I call the pack doctor for you?" She asked with genuine concern arching her brow and I felt guilty.

"No. I just need to rest." I said as I walked back to my bed pretending to be walking with an effort. She looked at me worriedly and left shutting the door gently behind her.

I straightened the moment she left and walked to the window to look out at the pitch-black night sky, my stomach grumbled in protest. I patted it signing as if making a gentle apology for the starvation as I allowed my heart to drift to more pressing issues.

"Was she going to always be like this? How was I to live peacefully here if Eric's mother didn't like me? I don't want to be the reason for a strain in their relationship. Was it a good thing to come here?" I asked myself and sighed as I looked at the moon as if awaiting my answers from her. I knew I wouldn't be getting anything from her.

She hates me. She didn't even come to save me from embarrassment on my shifting night why would I expect help from her now?

Sharp footsteps made their way to my door and just as I was beginning to turn around it flew open and Eric walked in looking breathtakingly handsome in his short-sleeved flower prints red shirt and dark blue jeans. A worry was on his face as he walked in.

His eyes traveled across the room, from the bed to where I stood hugging myself as I took in his features. His gaze lingered on mine for a few more seconds before he walked towards me shutting the door behind him. I breathed in sharply as he walked to me.