Part III: Ami

Ami awoke with a start. She jumped to her feet and ran to her front door, sliding across the carpet. Her fingers checked every bolt, every heavy locking mechanism she had installed. It was only when she saw that it was tightly secure was she able to relax. She slowed her breath, leaning her back against the door, and slid to the floor.

Another safe night.

She lifted her hand, reaching to the window on her left. She drew the dark curtain away, and peeked over the dusty ledge. It was just before daybreak. The haze wasn't as thick in the morning, and she saw long shadows begin to form from the skyscrapers as the sun began its rise over the horizon. There was a chain of clicks behind her as her door unlocked for the day.

She stood up and opened the drapes, letting what little light there was enter her small room. There was a mattress on the floor, a dusty bookshelf, and a well-worn couch.

It wasn't hers.

None of this was hers.

Everything was here when they first moved her in. She looked at the now-torn duster jacket on the floor. Not even this was hers.

She often wondered what happened to the previous owner of the tiny apartment. She made up stories in her head, during her long days at the park, of the mysterious elderly man that once called this home. Maybe he was a teacher, a writer, a scientist? Maybe he ran away with the love of his life, not bothering to take even his clothes with him?

No.

She knew that wasn't true. But she didn't want to dwell on any alternatives. She kept the apartment as close to the same as when she found it, not only out of respect for the man, but also for her own reasons. She didn't want to get too comfortable. Comfort is an illusion. She knew who she was at night, and comfort would only make her forget. That's why she wore his jacket – as a reminder. She is only a stranger here.

So was that girl.

The girl. She had to find her again. She had to speak with her and tell her if she didn't already know. Her mind raced.

Downtown.

---

Ami didn't like being outside, especially Downtown, without her jacket. It made her feel exposed, vulnerable even. Most of the shops were virtual down in the bottom streets. Although most people did their shopping at home, there was a vending machine-like device at the edge of the alley. She had only used it once before, and in her confusion, had accidentally purchased a digital copy of the shoes she needed.

There was a small line in front of the machine when she arrived. She studied each person in front of her, carefully trying to understand the process through watching, but they seemed to be experts. A touch here, a gesture there, and like magic – a new pair of glasses, mask, then pants fell out of the bottom of the device.

Someone gave her a push from behind, catching her off-guard. It was her turn.

A uniformed woman appeared on the screen.

"Shopping for yourself?" she asked. A "yes" and "no" option appeared on the screen.

"Yes," Ami answered, nodding.

The woman stared back at her, still smiling wide.

Nothing happened.

Ami tried pushing the floating Yes button on the screen.

Again, nothing.

"Yes!" she shouted, tapping the screen in agitation. But the woman just stared back at her vacantly.