𝟎𝟐. a night to remember.

chapter two, a night to remember

chapter two,
a night to remember.

chapter two, a night to remember

    GUILT HAD SCARRED HER.

    Guilt had forced her to agree to arrive in the one place she refused to return. How could Gwen utter a 'no' to the man she feared most, after all, he had seen the failure she truly was. Her father was ex-military meaning he held high standards, criteria she believed she could never grasp. The woman ached for redemption, in her father's eyes. If he could meet her halfway, she would mirror that.

    Although it was painfully prominent, Gwen was far from welcome in the school due to all of their watchful stares. They all observed her with the gaze of a stranger, the feeling of aloof judgement with no strings lingering. From afar they had made a plethora of opinions about her. They don't mean to speak ill of her, they all must do this, they will only whisper judgemental things in one another ears. It was trained in their DNA to gossip about the broken. Yet, not a single stranger had the guts to smile at her but they all thought they had the right to utter her name. To speak Devin's name. Not an ounce of empathy lounged in the gym.

    Gwen had hoped the adrenaline coursing through the teenager's veins would act as an invisibility cloak for her, the sweat and anticipation masking her scent. Unfortunately, the familiar scent of her was caught on quickly. The woman sat, on the bleachers, slumping as far into the shadows as she could while sparing a few glares. Gwen despised the attention but she'd never allow anyone to know she was nervous because of it. Even if the whispers of her name made her bones shake.