── 𝑎𝑐𝑡 𝑜𝑛𝑒 . 𝑏𝑒𝑓𝑜𝑟𝑒

𝐖 𝐄 𝐇 𝐀 𝐕 𝐄 𝐈 𝐓 𝐀 𝐋 𝐋

( 𝑖𝑛𝑠𝑝𝑖𝑟𝑒𝑑 𝑏𝑦 𝑝𝑖𝑚 𝑠𝑡𝑜𝑛𝑒𝑠 )

𝐩𝐭. 𝟏 - 𝐛𝐞𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐞

𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝑎 𝑑𝑒𝑎𝑙 𝑤𝑖𝑡ℎ 𝑎𝑟𝑒𝑠

....𝐈𝐒 𝐁𝐀𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐄𝐃.

═══════════════════════════════════

𝑻𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆 𝒘𝒂𝒔 𝒇𝒊𝒓𝒆 𝒂𝒓𝒐𝒖𝒏𝒅 𝒖𝒔
𝑺𝒐 𝑰 𝒔𝒉𝒐𝒖𝒍𝒅 𝒉𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝒌𝒏𝒐𝒘𝒏 𝒘𝒉𝒚
𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝒕𝒐𝒖𝒄𝒉 𝒐𝒇 𝒉𝒊𝒔 𝒉𝒂𝒏𝒅𝒔
𝑾𝒆𝒓𝒆 𝒂𝒔 𝒄𝒐𝒍𝒅 𝒂𝒔 𝒉𝒊𝒔 𝒆𝒚𝒆𝒔
𝑺𝒐 𝒅𝒐𝒏'𝒕 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒕𝒆𝒍𝒍 𝒎𝒆
𝑾𝒆 𝒘𝒆𝒓𝒆𝒏'𝒕 𝒉𝒚𝒑𝒏𝒐𝒕𝒊𝒔𝒆𝒅
𝑾𝒐𝒉-𝒐𝒉
𝑶𝒉𝒐-𝒉𝒐𝒉

The man talks of glory.

It is bright and early and the height of summer, and the weapons studio is packed with bodies. Brows are wiped so often, t-shirts pulled from where they've begun to cling to skin, that it might as well be the tenth circle of hell, but not one of the children deigns to move. So many of them have come to listen to him speak, to drink in his hero's tale of blood and sweat and tears. To follow in his footsteps to a crown of their own. Cato stands at the back, because he's tall enough already that he can see clearly without having to join the sweltering crowd. His blonde hair is plastered to his forehead, the sheen across his brow glistening in the mid-morning sun filtering through the skylight above.

He is eight years old and the man is his father.

He has heard this song of violence – of glory and gore – a thousand times over. It runs through his veins as steady as a river, entwined into his very soul from birth. Even at this age, Cato knows his future is golden.

The speech ends and his father steps down from the podium, inviting the still awestruck crowd to make their way towards the signing table. The woman who waits there, with her platinum ponytail and angled jaw, is his next door neighbour. She runs this place, is the person who paves the road to victory. One simply has to be determined enough to walk it, despite the perils they may face along its broken cobbles. Cato is one of the first to step forward.

He makes his way through the group of other children chattering excitedly between themselves. They clear a path for him without question. They already know who he is, his relation to the man from the podium. And there was no doubt he would be one of the first.