Chapter 2: Adrian's P.O.V.

Die? She can't die. She won't. Not my angel. My beautiful love. Yet, as she look up at me with big, sad eyes, I knew it was true. She leaned on my shoulder and turned her head to look out over London. I had brought her to this quiet hill where the wind made the grass shift like waves of emerald. Flowers bloomed at random and I knew she would love them. I had braided a few with the long blades of grass to make her a wreath for her head. She asked me to play with her hair, which should've been enough to tell me something was wrong, but I let myself be fooled by her smile. She only wanted me to play with her hair when she was under stress.

As I braided her beautiful, soft, locks, I thought I heard sniffling, but she said it was an allergy to pollen. I should've turned her head. I should've made sure she wasn't crying. When I had finished tying off little braids in her hair, like the one I had in mine, before pulling her into my lap.

"You can't die," I said shakily, "You're not. It's not possible."

"I am," she said.

"No. No, I know you've been sick, but it's just a little cold. I'll take you home."

"Adrian, my body is destroying itself slowly from the inside out," she whispered, "My organs are failing. I can only live a few more weeks at most."

"No. I'll find a way to help you. I know I can. Please, just hang on for me."

I jumped up and pulled her with me. She tugged on my arm to stop me, then held my trembling hands in hers.

"Adrian," she said softly, reaching for me to shift my hair from my eyes and cupping my cheek, "If anyone could find a way, it's you. I have faith in you."

My angel, trying to comfort me. She always supported me, loved me, never questioned me when I denied information about me, and trusted me. I couldn't lose this rare woman I had found. 

I picked her up suddenly, not even managing a smile at the cute squeak that jumped from her mouth, as I ran to her home. When I opened the door and her parents saw me, they became concerned.

"Is she alright?" her mother cried, running forward, "She didn't collapse, did she?"

"I'm fine mother," she said, but I heard the strain in her voice. She hadn't been in pain before, but she was struggling to breath again. She started gasping and reached for her chest with trembling hands.

"Send for the doctor," her father instructed sharply, taking her from my arms. Her mother ran to find a servant and I followed her father to my love's room. He laid her in bed and put a hand on her forehead.

"Her fever's back," he muttered, stroking her cheek.

I saw tears trickle down her cheeks and I impulsively wiped them away.

'How could it get to this?' I thought, cupping her cheek and looking into her teary eyes as she smiled weakly to reassure me, 'How could this happen to her? She doesn't deserve it.'

She is her parents only child; the only one that survived past five months pregnancy. She's survived a carriage crash where she injured an arm, she's survived many of these attacks. It can't be now. This time can't be the one to take her. She's too young. She's come too far. I fought back tears in my eyes.

"I'll find a way to help you permanently," I whispered.

"I love you," she said.

"You're a remarkable man. You have been from the day you came to our door," her father said, "But I don't think even you can save her." He bowed his head in prayer and held the cross on the chain around his neck.

Damned fool. This world was cursed ages ago for humans to suffer for their sins, and that includes disease. The Lord won't save her from disease simply because we wish it. It's your own responsibility to defy sin and save her mortal body. And I will.

I slowly forced my hand to leave her soft cheek.

"I'll be back," I said.

"I know," she whispered, wheezing softly. She's so strong, even bedridden, she'll hold on well past her death date to make me happy.

"I won't make you wait," I whispered, kissing her cheek before leaving the house. On the way to the Reaper Dispatch, I stopped at a doctor's office and sent him to the house for an emergency. Then, it was on to find a way to change her fate.