Chapter 1

"You like him, don't you?" 

Wooin turned from where he had been watching Iseul, Duri, and Jiwoo.  Jiwoo was bombarding Iseul with all sorts of questions about Duri while she blushed and gave stammering answers. They were standing near the mandu stand, just a few meters away from him.  Around them, tourists and locals bustled around in the night market, going from booth to booth.  

Tilting his head slightly, Wooin blinked at Jisuk.  "Like who?"

 Jisuk gave a sly smirk, showing a gleam of teeth.  "Jiwoo, of course."

 A feeling of apprehension was curdling in his stomach, but he answered as coolly as he could.  "I do like Jiwoo.  He's my friend." 

Jisuk shook his head.  He seemed to be savoring this.  "Nooo, I mean as more than a friend.  I'm talking about a crush."

Hearing that word, Wooin could feel himself blushing with embarrassment.  How did he know? He didn't think he had been that obvious.  Silently, he stared at Jisuk, wondering what he had in mind.

Jisuk's grin split even wider and he clapped a hand on Wooin's back.  " Aww, are you shy about it?  There's no shame in having a crush, you know.  It's perfectly normal!"

"And," he added with a gleam in his eyes, "if you really want, I can give you a few ti—"

"Who's got a crush?" Subin burst in, suddenly appearing behind Jisuk.

Jisuk's expression instantly soured.  "Buzz off, you nitwit!  This is none of your business."

"Oooh, you sound so touchy.  Are you the one with a crush?" With a coy smile, Subin pressed on.  "Who is it?  Is it someone we know?  Must be one-sided though.  I doubt any sane person would like you back."

"Shut up!  You're such an idiot!" Jisuk snapped, "I'm not the one with a stupid crush.  It's Wooin!"

Underneath his embarrassment, Wooin felt a sharp stab of irritation.  Why on earth did they have to be so loud about it?  Jiwoo was only a few meters away.  What if he heard them?  Wooin sent a furtive glance toward Jiwoo.  He was still chatting with Iseul.  He supposed that was a good thing.  Although why were they talking together for so long?  Did Jiwoo really like Iseul that much?

Subin's look of rage shifted to understanding in a heartbeat and she turned her head to stare at Wooin.  Vaguely, he mused that this was one of the few times she had let an insult from Jisuk go without retaliation.

"Ohh, huh.  I already knew that.  Have you said anything to him yet?"

"Um...said anything about what?" He was fervently wishing that they would just drop the subject.  Why couldn't they just leave him in peace?

"About your crush," Subin answered impatiently, "Aren't you planning on confessing?"

Jisuk scoffed. "As if!  He doesn't have a clue on what to do.  I was actually going to give him a couple tips before you interrupted our conversation."

"You?  What would you know about this kind of stuff?" Subin glared at Jisuk scornfully.

"Hey!  It's not like you're an expert in this either.  I bet you've never even dated anyone before."

"That's not true, bastard.  I went out with a girl at my high school a few times and with this boy in the Union.  You're the one with no experience."

Eyes widened in outrage, Jisuk opened his mouth to reply, but Wooin took this opportunity to cut them off.  He was glad that they had moved off the topic of his crush, but he didn't want Jiwoo to hear them talking about dating either.  Knowing his friends, they would probably spill his secret as soon as Jiwoo asked.

"It's fine.  I don't need any advice."

His friends both turned to look at him, sporting almost identical expressions of surprise.

"What do you mean you don't need any advice?" Jisuk looked taken aback, "Don't you want to know how to make him like you back?"

"Yeah!" Subin added, "I've got a lot of great tips for asking him out and all that."

"I..." Perhaps this wasn't such a bad idea.  After all, getting some advice wouldn't hurt.  He had no experience with crushes, having spent his whole life traveling with the professor and before that, in a laboratory.  After he had realized his feelings, he had resigned himself to silently admiring Jiwoo—but only as a friend, nothing more.  Never before had he seriously considered the possibility that Jiwoo might like him back.  He snuck in another glance at Jiwoo.  Still talking with Iseul.  Well, at least he wouldn't notice their conversation.  But he couldn't help the jealousy in his stomach that flared up at what he saw.

Jisuk saw him looking and smirked.  "First tip: Beat out your competition.  In this case, it's Iseul.  Now, in order to do that, you can either challenge her to a spar or—"

"Hang on," Subin cut in, "That's horrible advice.  He should be more focused on winning Jiwoo's attention, not beating up Iseul.  Jiwoo definitely won't like him back if he hurts one of his friends.  He should show Jiwoo that he cares about him."

She turned to face Wooin.  "Give him a nice present like...a T-shirt or something.  That should do it."

Jisuk rolled his eyes dramatically.  "A T-shirt Yeah, that'll definitely win him over—if it weren't such a lame gift.  I mean, it's like giving him socks or something."

Ignoring Subin's offended expression, he continued on, "If you want to make a move on him, then going to the movies together is definitely a must.  Also, make sure to choose a horror movie."

"Why?"

"Because, when things get scary then he'll be throwing himself at you."  He paused, thinking.  "Or I guess you'll be throwing yourself at him.  But either way, there's no better excuse for cuddling and all that stuff.  Trust me, horror movies are great for creating chemistry."

"Tch.  He'll be lucky if he doesn't scare Jiwoo away."  Subin sighed but then smiled encouragingly at him.  "Good luck asking him out.  Come to me if you need any more advice about this stuff."

"Oh, hey.  Are you ready to go?"  Jiwoo smiled at them expectantly as he came closer.  

"Uh..." Wooin hadn't noticed Jiwoo coming up to them.  Had he heard what they were saying?  Panic whirled to life suddenly in his mind as he scanned Jiwoo's face for any sign of surprise or unease.  Amber eyes stared back at him, shining brightly.

"Um, is something wrong?"  He looked slightly confused, but it didn't seem like he had overheard them.

Subin stepped in.  "No, no.  Everything's fine.  Hey, uh, where's Iseul?"

"She went home already."

"Oh."  A look that might have been disappointment flashes across Subin's face, but Wooin's too distracted to pay attention to it.

So Iseul had already left.  He feels a little guilty for the relief that springs up at this statement.  Iseul seems nice enough after all.  But it all washes away when Jiwoo turns to him, that gentle smile that practically radiates kindness glowing on his face.  Although he's seen Jiwoo smile countless times, the way his heart flutters at the sight has never faded.

"So, did you have a good time?" Jiwoo asks him as they walk together down the street.

Wooin feels brave enough to smile back.  "Yes.  I had a great time."