The Promise

The piercing sound of the loud boom shook me out of my sleep. 

I scanned the room to see if K heard it too, but she wasn't here.

An unsettling feeling rested at the pit of my stomach.

This is an assassination academy; The sound of gunshots is not something new to my ears. 

So why did this sound bring so much unfamiliar fear in my chest? 

My skin got goosebumps as I sat up on my bunk. I'm wearing a sweatshirt and I still feel this unsettling chill.

I jump out of the bed and rush down the hallway. From the sound of the gunshot, it was a 9mm American pistol that was fired.

What time is it? I look up to one of the many clocks on the hallway walls. 10:09 P.M. It's late. 

Where the hell is K?

 I see a few guards run into the black room, so I follow them.

As I near the door, I hear gasping and movement noises seep out of the room.

 I bust through the door trying to hurry up and figure out what all of the commotion was about.

I see a few letters bundled up in a corner, staring in the middle of the room with a look of pure terror.

I quickly turn my head to see who it was....and it was K...with a gun in her hand looking down.

My usual stoic face was filled with concern as I looked to see who she was looking at.

It was X, lying on the floor with a clean bullet hole through her skull.

Her face still swollen and bleeding from the beating she took from me earlier.

Just then it felt like time had stopped. 'Oh no' was the only thought that came to my head.

If you were wondering why all these fearless assassins are so shocked, it's because a letter is forbidden from killing another.

It was the ultimate rule Grimm had set, and K had just broken it.

I break the stillness that was instilled in my body and rush to snatch the gun away from her. I stand in front of her and try to gauge an explanation from her eyes.

They filled with tears from the moment she saw me.

"She sai- she said she was going to kill you" she stumbled out frantically.

"What?" I shake my head in confusion. My brain felt like it was set on fire.

"What do you mean?" I ask her.

She takes a few breaths before answering.

"She said when the battle began, she was going to kill you first, a- and I freaked out and shot her" she finishes.

I look at her shocked, then down to X's body.

I was going to say something when Grimm busted through the door. "What's going o-", he looked down to X's body...then to my hand...with the gun in it.

Grimm looked me in my eyes and asked, "What happened?".

I stood tall and said "I heard her saying I would her first target during the battle, So I figured why not get rid of her from now."

He walked with heavy footsteps towards X's body and crouched.

Examining every inch of the scene.

"How unfortunate, now the game has an uneven amount of contestants."