Chapter 1

September 10th, 2022

"You know there's MONSTERS in my closet?" Asked my little brother Kaden. 

"Monsters? Really?" I asked him as I packed up my suitcase. 

"Yes. And they won't hurt me, but they do eat soccer players who leave their little brothers to go play for the USA." He said, taking things out of my suitcase. 

"Kaden please." I said, grabbing his hands to stop him. "I won't be gone forever. Just 9 days. And then dad is bringing you on an airplane to come watch me in California. I know it's hard for you to understand, but it's not long." 

"But it's not fair! Why can't you just stay here and play for Houston Dash like always?" 

"Because this is a big honor." I said. "And you'll get it one day. You're still little, but one day it will make sense. Now, I need to go pack up. Go find Joey." 

"I don't want to hang out with him!" 

"Go have a catch or something. I just need to pack, buddy." I said, urging him out the door. 

Once Kaden was finally gone, I was able to finish packing. Which was extremely stressful, because this was my first ever USWNT camp, and I had to be prepared. 

I don't know ANYONE going into this, because no one from my NWSL team, Houston Dash, was going to camp this time. And I didn't play college with any of these girls, because I didn't go. 

"You excited?" Asked my twin brother Joey, barging in my room. 

"More like nervous." I sighed, sitting down. 

"Why? You're like the best soccer player I've ever seen. I think you'll be okay. Also you're really stupid, but not too stupid that you can't make friends. You feel me?" 

"So we're 18 and still call eachother stupid I guess?" 

"I guess so." 

"So when do you go back to school?" I asked him. 

"In 2 days. But I'm going with dad to California for your games. I wouldn't miss it. #1 fan." He said. 

"#2. You forgot Kaden." I laughed. 

"I didn't. I will always be your #1 and you'll be mine. That's how it has to work." Joey said. "I'm very proud of you, Jade." 

"Thanks Joe." 

----------

September 11th, 2022

Saying goodbye at the airport was unbearable, because Kaden was a wreck. My younger sister Danielle tried relentlessly all day to get me to bring her with me, and by the time it was time to say bye she just simply said it and crossed her arms. 

"Okay! I'll see you all soon!" I said as I got on the plane. 

I sat next to a mom with her daughter, and she was very nice. The little girl was about 8 years old and so well-behaved. 

When I got to airport, I grabbed my bags quickly so I didn't miss the team bus to the airport. That would be pretty embarassing. 

I took a seat at the very front, because I didn't want to take anyone's seat. I watched as the girls from the Washington Spirit got on the bus, giggling and apoligizing for being late. 

"Sit down! We're all tired!" A girl yelled from the back of the bus. 

"Yeah for real! I just wanna go to the hotel and sleep!" Another said. 

"Sorry!" Trinity Rodman yelled, taking the seat behind me. 

"Where's Ashley?" Someone asked. 

"No idea. She gets lost sometimes." Said Trinity from behind me. 

I basically held my breath, because I didn't want her to notice me and make a big deal of not knowing who I was. 

"Mr. Bus Driver, can you wait for Ashley please?" Someone asked. 

"We're already 5 minutes behind." 

"Well I'll text her." 

"She gets 5 more minutes. Than I'm leaving." 

"Okay thanks Mr. Bus Driver!" 

I tried not to laugh loudly like the rest of the bus so I didn't draw attention to myself. 

"I'm here! Sorry! I made!" Ashley came running up the steps of the bus. 

"Ah, how nice of you to join us Miss Sanchez!" A girl yelled. 

"How nice of you to welcome me, Miss Pugh!" 

"Okay, are we ready to go?" The bus driver asked. 

"Yes! I just need to sit down!" Ashley said. Then she sat down next to me. "Hi!" 

"Hi." I said. 

"I'm ready you can go." She said to the driver. Then she turned to me. "Jade, right? How are you?" 

"I'm good, thanks. How are you?" 

"I'm fine. Just hyper because I had like 3 coffees. I'm gonna have a heart attack tonight." She laughed. 

Then I realized how pretty she was, and how she charmed me almost instantly. 

"How mucn coffee did you drink on this wonderful travel day?" She laughed as she asked me. 

"I'm not much of a coffee drinker." I smiled. 

"You alien!" She gasped. 

We both laughed, and we ended up getting along this well for the rest of the ride.