001,

001,

All Iris could make out was blah blah blah, staples, blah blah blah, Saturday [to which she heard a bunch of protesting. She curses herself for not listening in for this part because now she has no idea what she should be complaining about.], blah blah, choose your weapon.

Once Principal Bentley leaves, Iris immediately makes her way over to a spare chair, pulling out her earbuds and connecting them to her phone. She was going to watch a movie, just as she planned.

Iris glances up from her phone and feels her face get hot.

Speaking of plans . . . if she recalled correctly, the plan was for Iris to replace Martha in detention, right? So why the hell was Martha Kaply standing at the center of the room removing staples from magazine covers with Spencer Gilpin? Iris felt like strangling her right in that moment.

"Martha."

Martha jolts before standing still. She doesn't turn, fearing Iris would do something to hurt her. Iris narrows her eyes, pulling her earbuds out of her ears. She stands, shuffling forward so she was about 3ft away from the redhead.

"Martha, I'm speaking to you."

Said girls eyes shut momentarily as she purses her lips. Martha turns to face an irritated looking Iris. "Yes?"

"Martha."

"What?" Martha's voice raises slightly, "Can you say something other than Martha?"

Iris breathes out slowly. Martha was slowly climbing up her dislike list. "I thought I was going to take your place in detention. Why the hell are you here?"

Martha drops the stapler on the table and places the magazine beside it. She shuffles closer to Iris, dropping her voice to a low whisper. She glances back at Spencer making sure he wasn't listening in. "It was a last minute decision. I decided to own up to my mistake and complete my detention."

Iris shifts her gaze from the girl standing before her to the lanky boy behind them who was trying desperately hard to make it seem as if he wasn't listening in. Iris knew he was, no matter how hard he tried to look like he wasn't. He would fumble with the magazine in his hands, stalling with the stapler.

"Right, well you could've let me know beforehand." Iris rolls her eyes. "I can't even sneak out now! Bentley's got that front desk lady guarding the room like some watchdog."

"I'm sorry, I literally have no way of contacting you." Martha retorts, refraining from crossing her arms. She fears if she shows any form of negative attitude Iris would smack her across the face. Clearly, she didn't know Iris at all. Iris was all talk, the only thing she had working for her is her RBF and ability to make up a really convincing empty threat.

Iris sputters, waving her arms about. "Okay, well search my name up on literally any form of social media!"

Martha thinks quickly to form an excuse and when she can't think of one, she goes to lie. "I have no social media. I'm completely offline, yeah, I just don't think my mom would appreciate knowing I'm on Twitter or Instagram or...or–"

"I get it." Iris cuts her off, rolling her eyes. She goes back to sit on the chair, annoyed Martha lied. She puts her earbuds back in, unlocking her cellphone, and searching through her tabs for the movie she had been watching a while ago. Through her peripheral vision, she spots Martha still watching her. Her eyes flicker up, locking with the redhead. Iris forces her right eye to twitch to make it seem as if she was seriously pissed. Martha twirls around anxiously, picking the stapler back up. Iris muffles a satisfied smile at her reaction.

A couple feet away from her, Bethany Walker whistles, arms raised at an angle over her head. Her cellphone was clutched in her hands as she took various photos of herself at different angles. Iris' nose scrunches up as she fixes her with a 'What?' look.

Bethany shrugs, putting her phone down. "Can't believe she'd lie to you like that, RisRis."

"Do not call me that."

Now actually irritated, Iris turns back to her phone, pressing play on the movie, watching as the two characters interacted. About an hour later, Iris slowly dozes off, head leaning against a stack of chairs to her left, phone still clutched in her hand.

...

Iris is woken up by the sound of Martha's voice reprimanding Spencer and another student she had yet to speak to.

Iris hadn't really spoken to any of them [other than Bethany and Martha] and had found that Spencer and the guy's dynamic seemed a bit off. As if they used to be friends and now they were just completely awkward around each other, not knowing what to say or do.

"Jumanji?" The nameless guy asks. "What does that mean?"

"I have no idea. Never heard of it." Spencer replies, shrugging slightly.

Iris sits up from her comfortable position on the chair, craning her neck around the stack of chairs to see what they were doing. The game console looked extremely old and it made her uneasy. Like something was seriously wrong with it.

The game chimes loudly throughout the room. The boys, busy picking their characters, wave Bethany and Martha over, completely forgetting about the other girl in the room. Bethany does so, but Martha stays put.

Minutes pass by with Iris picking at her skirt, not a thought crossing her mind. She glances up once at the four teenagers, then chaos ensues. One second she was watching Spencer, the nameless student, Martha, and Bethany play with a stupid video game, the next she was watching green smoke surround the four and suck them into the game console.

Iris stands abruptly. "Shit."

She rushes over to the door, jiggling the handle aggressively. The door wouldn't open. Bentley had locked them in there. Was that legal? Could she sue? Was murder justifiable in this situation? Iris thinks yes.

"Fucker!" she yells, pounding her hand against the door. "Holy shit, I'm gonna die here."

Iris turns back around, running a hand through her hair. She wasn't actually going to die next was she? They didn't actually die did they? Her eyes shift back over to the game console. She shakes her head. Their bodies literally dissolved into green smoke they had to have died.

Iris crosses the room and crouches beside the game console. She reaches a manicured finger out to poke the remote. She braces herself. For all she knew, the smoke could reappear and dissolve her to death, too. But nothing happened. No smoke, no odd video game chime. It was silent, so Iris took that to mean she was free to touch the remote with her hands.

A terrible idea, really, because as soon as her fingers came in contact with the remote, green smoke crawled out of the old TV screen. Iris hadn't noticed until she heard the video game chime. She drops the remote, letting out a wide-eyed gasp before she, too, began to dissolve into thin air.

end.