001. the competition begins

season 1; episode 1
001. the competition begins

THE LARGE RED DOOR SWUNG OPEN AND TWO PAIRS OF FEET WALKED INTO THE WHITE HOUSE. A young girl was the first one inside. She hurriedly kicked off her shoes and stored them away in the mudroom before trekking through the foyer. She stopped at the feeling of soft fur rubbing against her tanned legs. Looking down, a close-lipped smile graced her face at the sight of her small bengal kitty, Leo, purring at her feet. Dipping down, she scooped him up and continued her adventure upstairs to firstly, annoy her brothers and secondly, relieve her shoulders of the book bag she had been lugging around.

Her father, Roman, was the second person to enter the house. He followed in her steps, taking off his shoes and jacket and putting them away, but he didn't go upstairs, instead heading to the kitchen. Involuntarily a charming white smile raised onto his face at the sight of his wife, Carmen, sitting at the kitchen island mindlessly scrolling through her phone while her earphones were plugged into her ipod.

Roman walked up to her and pecked her cheek. "Afternoon to y-" Before he could finish his greeting, Carmen's hand flung to hit him in the chest. "What was that?"

Carmen's hand were placed on her heart now and her eyes were wide with alert. "Oh, my God. Don't scare me like that."

Roman titled his hand, his facial expression morphing into one of confusion. "How did you not hear me? Wasn't it you that said that I have loud footsteps? Big foot you called me."

Carmen set her phone down and took her earphones out. "I had headphones on." Seeing Roman making a move to pick up a tamale from the plate in front of them, she lightly smacked his hand away.

"What's up with you and smacking me today? Do you need a release? I mean, if you ever need one-" He moved behind her and placed his large hands on her slender shoulders. "I can give you one." His deep accented voice causes a wave of bliss to wash over her.

A loud laugh filled the kitchen as Carmen threw her hand back, her hands going up to touch his. "No! You're not making me push out any more babies and you don't wanna see me in labor again."

She was right. Roman had learned that it's best just to do as told and keep all your jokes to yourself because in the delivery room when Carmen called him over and he tipped his imaginary top hat and replied with "at your cervix," she was definitely not amused.

"Sorry for hitting you mi amor, but those are for Solana. Take some from there." She pointed towards another plate of tamales stacked on top of each other in a pyramid shape.

"Alrighty, thank you." Roman sang as he walked over to it.

The two adults turned at the sound of footsteps, seeing their daughter enter the kitchen. She gave her mother a kiss on the cheek before taking a seat next to her. "Buenas tardes, mamá." ( Good afternoon, mommy )

"Buenas tardes, cariño. Toma, cómete esto." ( Good afternoon, honey. Here, eat this ). Carmen smiled and slid the plate of tamales that Roman had reached for earlier, towards her. "How was school? Do you have any homework?"

Solana cringed at the mention of school but quickly fixed her face before either of her parents could see it. "Yeah but I finished it in class already. My day was super boring... and long. All I could think about was dance."

"Ah, that show is starting filming today, right?" Roman asked as pulled out a draw and threw the wrapper in the garbage.

Solana nodded. "Yeah, I'm kinda nervous. What if people don't like it- or me?"

Roman walked over to her and stroked her hair soothingly. "How could anybody not like you? You're, like, one of the most amazing people I know. Don't worry, everything will be okay." He passes Carmen a look and gives Solana a kiss on the forehead before heading to the bathroom.