2

The sun bled through the pastel curtains of my bedroom, painting everything in a pale pink glow

The sun bled through the pastel curtains of my bedroom, painting everything in a pale pink glow. I blinked a few times, taking in the beauty of the room before truly remembering where I was.

Asgard.

The one place I never thought I would see again.

Still, there was no running. Not again. Once was an accident, like everyone believed. A crime, a kidnapping. Twice would be too obvious. Not to mention the entire city on high alert for the supposed criminals and Odin's orders for Thor and Loki to keep watch of me.

I jolted upright at the hard knock on the door, jumping from my bed and pulling a sheer robe over my nightgown. It had to be Moriah, although she shouldn't bother knocking. I would have to let her know that she-

"Goodmorning, Elsie." Thor smiled down at me, scanning my outfit quickly before returning his eyes to my own.

"Your highness, I wasn't expecting-" I started, crossing my arms over myself and cursing myself for answering the door like this. I knew better.

"My fault. I shouldn't be here so early, I just wanted to make sure you slept alright and thought I could walk you to breakfast?"

"Of course, that would be... lovely..." I trailed off, scanning my new room over between words.

"Is your handmaiden not here already?" He asked, obviously referring to the fact that I was not properly dressed for breakfast yet.

"No, she is. She just stepped out for a moment. I'll be ready in just a few minutes, if you don't mind waiting?"

"Yes, sure." He grinned with a nod, stepping back a bit until he reached a pillar to lean on.

I shut the door quickly with a tight smile before rushing across to my closet. I hadn't the slightest idea what might be in here, if anything. Moriah had pulled my dress for my last night and gotten me ready for bed as well.

As the door swung back, I scanned the rows upon rows of gowns, skirts, sweaters, and shoes before my eyes, feeling my mouth fall slightly.

"Oh, your highness, my apologies, I didn't expect you up this early, I'm so sorry, it won't happen again-" Moriah's voice pulled me back into reality.

"Moriah, it's no trouble at all!" I assured her, taking a few steps through my closet and running the fabrics through my hands.

"Let me get you ready, Princess." She said, her eyes looking panicked and tired as she pulled down a deep maroon dress with golden swirls along the neckline and sleeves.

I dabbed a bit of makeup on as Moriah tied the strings along the back of my dress before starting on my hair, pinning a few strands up and leaving the rest around my shoulders. We made surprisingly good time compared to yesterday's preparation, and I was ready to greet Thor again in less than twenty minutes.