Prelude | Gunpowder, Treason and Plot

Remember, remember,
The fifth of November,
The gunpowder, treason and plot;
I know of no reason,
Why the treason,
Should ever be forgot.

High in the starless skies above Surrey, Hagrid made his way to the West Country, Persephone in tow. It was not her first time on this bike, so she was somewhat prepared for the turbulent journey. Looking down from her seat in the sidecar, she could just make out the patchwork quilt-of-fields as they flew fast over the county. The world, it seemed, was blissfully serene and still, despite all the cacophony of open air travel. Perhaps it was shock? But in this meditative state, a thought suddenly manifested itself in her head.

"Hagrid!" Persephone called from below.

"You don't suppose you could drop me off in London?"

"What?" Came Hagrid's shouted reply.

"Could you drop me off in London!" She bellowed against the wind.

Hagrid had been heading westward for a good five minutes now to The Burrow. The Burrow was one of many safe-houses dotted around the country, where you would often find her drifting between spare beds and arm chairs. London was quite few miles out of his direction.

"Why?" He shouted back.

The wind was whipping the hair in her eyes. Thoroughly distracted, she resorted to blurting out broken sentences.

"Urgent business. Diagon Alley. Needs to be dealt with. Urgh. Tonight"

The message must of come across alright, as they swiftly changed their course east. And Hagrid, not one to be shy on an accelerator, saw that the fields below soon transform into the golden glow of city lights, which crossed through a map of streets, like surging neural pathways, as they flew ever closer into London. Without warning, the bike suddenly descended into a darkened alley and swerved to a holt in the alleyway where stood, The Leaky Cauldron.

Lifting her off her seat and onto the pavement, she was more than a little disorientated. He offered to accompany her on her errand, though she reassured him that he need not bother, promising him that she would not be in town too late, or taking a shortcut down Knockturn Alley, all the usual consolations.

"I'm quite capable, Hagrid."

It wasn't her capability, but rather her unfazed disposition that unsettled him. In light of recent events, he wondered as to why would she have any Order business to bother with, at all. Whatever mission she was on, even if it was the cause behind her rather ragged outward appearance, would've been disbanded as soon as news about Voldemort's defeat hit the grapevine.

He was suspicious to say the least, but respected her word anyway. He held a great respect for her others didn't. Despite her reputation among friends and foes alike, she was an accomplished, qualified witch, not just a young girl anymore. However, Hagrid made her promise to send an owl his way as soon as she returned to The Burrow.

"And don't be forgettin' I'll be comin down't Molly's dreckly next week, and I'll be expectin' to see you on yer birthday. Twen'y one, o dear, I can't believe it. Well anyway, don't be missin' me, I have a little surprise for you an' all."

Any cheer in Hagrid's tone gave way to sincerity.

"Well, I - I best be off. Look after yerself, 'Seph."

Persephone just nodded, and smiled slightly. She went in for a hug, although under the great mass of the half-giant, more of a smother. After some final goodbyes, she stepped back as Hagrid mounted the bike, raising her hood to her face, she looked on as Hagrid drove off, into the night.