Chapter 4

Today was supposed to be one of the hottest days of the summer, so I decided to throw a small pool party

Today was supposed to be one of the hottest days of the summer, so I decided to throw a small pool party. I invited my sister, my nieces, and my homegirls— Demi and Sabrina. I mentioned the party to Cairo when he fixed my sink.

I woke up early today to shock the pool with chlorine and ensure that it was clean and safe for everyone to swim in.

The house actually didn't come with the pool, I paid out of pocket to have it installed a few years after I moved in. Best choice I've made, I can enjoy the summer from the comfort of my own home now.

I was currently in route to the grocery store. It wouldn't be a pool party without food and drinks. I picked up fresh fruits, chips, cookies, and lemonade. I didn't enjoy grocery shopping, it was always a tiring and stressful process. Sometimes I over shopped, and other times I didn't buy enough.

I finally made it to the registers and like usual the lines were touching the back of the store. After twenty minutes of simply waiting, I was finally next, "Your total is $53.65, cash or card?" The cashier asked, resulting in me inserting my credit card into the machine.

"I love your braids!" Some girl expressed, as I walked out the store. It was a young girl, maybe thirteen at most.

I stopped, and smiled at the beautiful compliment, "Yours are beautiful as well. I also love your outfit!" I commented, earning a smile and a small giggle from the child.

I always try to embrace my natural hair, or wear braids, as they're a part of me and my soulful culture. I like to be a representation or image for younger black girls, I like to show them what's in store for their future. When my nieces come over, we have small spa days, so they can understand the importance of self care and love, no matter the age.

After the tiny interaction, I'm left with happiness lasting throughout my entire morning. I even gave the coffee shop barista a hefty tip.

Now that I'm back home, I start setting up the backyard with the lounge chairs, tables, and simple decorations. I forgot to buy ice, which meant now wet, playful kids were running in and out the house for drinks.

"It's hot as hell out here." I said to no one specific, just talking.

A few hours later, all the backyard decor was out from the garage and basement. I had showered to get rid of the sticky feeling, and changed into my swimsuit. As I'm walking down the stairs, the door opens revealing my sister, London, and her two daughters.

"Hey Tete!" My youngest niece yelled out as she ran to me. I had two nieces, one was four and the other was sixteen.

"Hey girl, this swimsuit is so pretty." I said while tugging on the material. The conversation continued for a while, before we all went outside. The girls immediately found entertainment in the water.

"Hey hoes!" In came Sabrina and Demi, walking through the driveway with bottles of some alcoholic beverage in their hands, and pizza.

Sabrina side hugged me, "Renny Ryn, my favorite hoe!" She said, making me laugh out, Sabrina was the only person to combine my nicknames together. It was usually Renny or Ryn.