Chapter 35

Malibu, California

May 2006

Daniel's face fell.

"What?" Anna frowned. Both men ignored her.

"I'm teaching her to dance." Daniel tensed and dropped his hold on her. He stepped away.

"I see that." Sabian gave a nod to Daniel. "Thank you."

Daniel passed this nod to Anna. "It...it was a pleasure to meet you, Anna."

He was already halfway across the dance floor by the time she answered back. "You, too. Thank you."

Sabian pulled her into his arms, put one hand on her back and held her hand, locking her in position just as a new song began. They danced, him bracing her in place and leading her around the floor while she shuffled reluctantly.

"What the hell was that?" She peered through the crowd to see where Daniel went.

"Never mind him. Where were you? I asked for you nearly half an hour ago."

"I was outside."

"With Daniel?"

"Not at first. But yes, we were just having a conversation."

"About what?"

His tone was curt and the grip of his hand on hers too tight. Had something happened, or was he just being jealous?

"I don't understand you," she said.

His hand loosened and he eased up a bit. His fingers on her back moved over her shoulder blade. "I thought I said I wanted you by my side tonight." His voice was gentler, but still gruff.

"You're the one that left me. Was I supposed to follow along like a puppy yapping at your heels? I assumed you had things to take care of. I don't want to be in your way."

"You're not in my way."

"Sometimes I might be."

They drifted in slow circles around the floor. "What did you talk about?" he asked again.

She sighed as she debated how much to tell him. "He was just giving me some friendly advice, that's all."

"About what?"

"He knew I'm considering membership."

"You should consult me about such things. I'll tell you what you need to know."

"Ha, ha." Anna grinned. "Nice try, but I think you're a little biased. You want me to stay, don't you?"

"Yes. I think it would be best for you."

Best for me? "Oh, so now you have my best interests at heart?"

He pulled his head back to look at her. His eyes were still serious, but gone was the previous anger. "Of course. It's my job, my responsibility."

Anna's teasing smile faded. She waited until he again directed his eyes over her shoulder before she spoke. "What about your interests?"

"They come second. And besides," he added, "I pay others in the society to look after my interests."

"Who?"

"Ricardo. George."

The question laid on her tongue like an unpleasant taste she needed to spit out. Who gives you the blood you need now? Is that the only reason you want me here? She'd just blurt out the words, just say it.

"Why did you leave the table?" he asked, cutting in before she could. "Did someone offend you?"

She paused. "N-no."