I. 7 Months after Sonic Forces.

Shortly after the defeat of Infinite, Eggman caught Sonic and locked him underground, in a deep lake in Labyrinth Zone, chained to a heavy spike ball. Sonic struggled to get out, but passed out.

After a while, his eyes opened, and his shadowed face looked at the spike ball, then shot an empty gaze at the giant rock covering the exit. He grabbed the spike ball and threw it upwards. The momentum resulted in cracks forming in the rock, and repeated hits eventually made a hole big enough for him to crawl out. He snapped the chains in two and slowly walked away.

As he was about to exit Labyrinth Zone, a large group of robots surrounded him. Unfazed, he destroyed every robot, crushing them under his foot or easily ripping them apart. Then he continued his ascent to the world above.

Sonic woke up in an empty field. The cold, hollow wind blew from behind him, making the dark colored grass flow like ocean waves, while rain softly poured down.

- What... Happened? - asked Sonic, when a sudden call caught his attention.

- Sonic, are you okay? You missed a lot of calls. Anyway, Eggman took over half of the planet, and I am on Angel Island, with Knuckles. Our friends are also there, and we're waiting for you. - said a recorded call.

Sonic remembered Eggman did put him in Labyrinth Zone, in a deep lake. He ran to Green Hill, after sending Tails a message, telling him to meet there.

The two best friends reunited in Green Hill, and Sonic explained what happened to him shortly before Eggman attacked his friends.

- I know you're scared of water as much as I'm scared of thunderstorms, but how did you survive 6 months encased in water? - asked Tails. - It's not scientifically possible.

- I don't know. I am just as amazed and glad I did survive. - said Sonic.

Sonic and Tails soon arrived at Angel Island, when four small combat planes, armed with guns, appeared out of the clouds, chasing the larger plane. With some heavy maneuvers, Tails barely managed to evade the bullets. Sonic looked back, and saw a person floating far away, spectating the chase. From what he saw, the person was a scientist, and had a weirdly large smile on his face.

- Tails, I'm gonna try to destroy their firearms, you continue dodging. - he said, then spindash-jumped onto the first combat plane, and with a kick, the plane flipped in a 90° angle.

Sonic looked to the next combat plane, who targeted him. Using the flipped one as shield, Sonic was taken by surprise when the plane flew downwards, and all planes but one followed him. Sonic skid around and spindashed to the other planes, jumping from one to another, until he reached the soil of Angel Island. His hand reached to it, but he failed to hold on. Strangely, he floated next to the soil, then quickly set his feet on it and ran upwards toward the forest, with the drops raining on his face. The planes turned around and contined shooting at him. Eventually, Sonic reached the border between Angel Island's underground and surface levels, and dashed in the forest. The planes flew upwards, then turned to scan the forest.

Sonic landed in Hidden Palace, then ran towards the chatter. There, surrounding the Master Emerald, stood Knuckles, the Chaotix team, Rouge, Silver, Blaze, Amy, Cream, Cream's mother Vanilla, Jet, Wave, Storm and Tikal.

- Sonic!!! - shouted Amy, aggressively hugging Sonic.

- Where were you, Sonic?! - asked Silver. - Didn't you see Eggman fighting G.U.N. a few months ago?

- I couldn't. - said Sonic in a monotone voice. - Eggman, before starting his trip around the world, caught me and locked in a deep lake in Labyrinth Zone. I couldn't know what he was doing, because I was stuck to a large spiked ball and drowning. You should be glad I didn't die. - he explained.

On the floor, a device layered a holographic transmission from Tails.

- Miles to Echidna, I repeat, Miles to Echidna, I have escaped the planes. I am heading towards the base. Has Sonic arrived yet? - he asked.

- Yep. I'm safe and sound, Tails. - responded Sonic, smiling. - We're waiting for you.

Tails fell through the rocky ceiling, landing next to the two.

"Hey guys! What happened?" he asked, seeing everyone feeling down.

Silence. Tails looked at the hidden cameras outside. The planes readied bombs, which alarmed the fox.

"Guys, they're gonna blow up a hole in the island!" shouted Tails.

"Hell no! Not on my island!" shouted Knuckles.

"Hold on, hold on, hold on. Maybe we can give them what they want, and save the island with no fighting." suggested Sonic.

Everyone agreed. Sonic went outside and signaled the planes to come down. After the landings, the radios were put on speaker mode.

"So, what do you want? Why are you chasing me, and what do I need to give you to leave us alone?" asked Sonic.

"Greetings." a mysterious voice sounded through the radio.

"Who are you?" asked Sonic.

"You may not recognize me, but we've known each other ever since the Stockholm Experiments." said the voice.

Sonic froze in shock. Flashes of the experiments appeared in his mind.

"N-no... Y-you are..." began Sonic, shaking.

"Now, now. Just like you said a bit earlier: 'Let's not spill any secrets, shall we?'. All you need to know is that I need you to meet me in Chemical Plant. I'll be waiting. Be free to bring anyone you want. I won't mind having outsiders listening to our secret conversation..." said the voice.

The combat planes slowly rose to the sky, and flew off into the distance, leaving Sonic still shaken. Blaze approached from behind, about to ask if everything was alright, when Sonic quickly turned around, ready to punch Blaze, but stopping himself just in time.

"S-Sonic?" asked Blaze.

"I... I'm sorry. I didn't mean to-"

"It's alright. I know you're going through something traumatizing. And I understand if you are scared. It happened to me too." said Blaze, holding his hand.

Sonic hugged Blaze, who looked at his neck. There was a black marking, akin to a demonic symbol. Blaze decided to keep it a secret, and brought Sonic back to the Hidden Palace.

"So?" asked Tails.

"The guy wants me to meet him in Chemical Plant Zone." answered Sonic.

"Alright, then let me give you a tracker and a secret microphone and-" began Tails, when Sonic stopped him.

"Tails, please. I'll do this on my own." he said.

"Are you sure?" asked Tails.

"Yes." said Sonic and walked out.