01. Glazed Eyes, Bitten Lips

Play Date
Glazed Eyes, Bitten Lips

Play DateGlazed Eyes, Bitten Lips

When Steve Harrington asked Aurora to phone him at exactly nine fourty PM, and to ensure that she had the stuffed bunny he had recently won her at a local fair on hand, she didn't exactly know what to expect

When Steve Harrington asked Aurora to phone him at exactly nine fourty PM, and to ensure that she had the stuffed bunny he had recently won her at a local fair on hand, she didn't exactly know what to expect. She'd insisted she might not be back on time to call him, having a duty to look after her unruly haired cousin when his mother went to her weekly bingo trip at the town hall, but they both knew that she'd even go out of her way to ensure she was nothing but on the dot to speak to him.

And she did exactly that.

Rushing home, a mere block, after tucking the middle schooler in bed with a kiss on the forehead and throwing her aunt a dizzy smile on wobbly legs as her car pulled into the driveway, Aurora raced with the autumn leaves to reach her home. Her average weekly babysitting trip gave her the fix of Dustin that the blonde would need to last the rest of the week, and she often found herself smiling like a little kid in his company. Things were even better when his friends were dropped over, especially Will Byers. She'd help them with their campaigns with an effortless ease, drawing up their characters and brining their fantasy worlds to a reality. In short, she was like a big sister to every single one of them.

When her father asked what the rush was all about, Aurora had to force herself to stop outside the living room. A soft swallow forced itself down her throat at he picture of her late mother on the mantlepiece, next to an empty bottle of liquor.

"I want to say my prayers, Daddy." The small girl murmured between puffed out breaths, sock clad toes digging absentmindedly into the carpet. "I have a lot to be thankful for today."

"You're a good girl, Aurora." Her father had spoke, Henry's voice giving her the tone of dismissal enough for her to storm straight up the stairs and into her pink and frilly room. A good girl, something that she always strived herself to be — even if she was disobeying her father's rules. If that unfamiliar feeling appeared in her lower stomach again when talking to Steve, she'd happily break a thousand rules to become his good girl.

So, with exactly one minute to spare, Aurora Smith was settled down atop her bedsheets, fingering lightly at the ditzy forget-me-not print, painted toes curled into the duvet. Her sleep dress suddenly felt warm and clammy on her skin. a huff puffed out her cheeks -- Steve always made her unnecessarily nervous, even when she couldn't see him. Hell, she wasn't even on the phone yet and already a swarm of butterflies pushed around her stomach. Chocolate eyes flickered towards the alarm clock on her bedside table, butterflies doubling in size when she realised it was time. Her fingers, shaking with undying need, pushed harshly onto the buttons of the lilac home phone. She could remember Steve's number off by heart, having stared at it for hours after first receiving it in his scrawly writing.