Part 2 - 'Hot' mess

[Julian Talbot POV]

I was staring to the side, watching as he ranted to the Heroics. They really sent in more than they should. I can't believe they take this guy seriously. The cops could handle him easily and they have many times. He always gets out and I always have a job.

I'm his only henchmen though. He says it's because people are so scared to work for him, but I just think no one else was poor enough to think about applying.

He stops ranting and points to me. I stand up straight and wander over to the balcony. I pear over the edge and see the most handsome man I've ever seen. He's all lean muscle and black leather, it's so damn attractive. I have to get his number after this.

***

As expected, the thing that the good old doc made was about to explode. Almost everyone was out of range, except the gorgeous leather-bound guy. He's pinned by some rubble from all the fighting. He's struggling and his team is not really working so well.

I guess even Heroes have their off days. He can't get up and the other heroes are busy trying to avoid the doc's ray gun. I wonder if they know it only causes temporary blindness due to the bright light. It's not really harmful, at least not enough to seriously injure someone.

One time I accidentally blinded myself with it. Those next several minutes were so boring sitting on the floor singing. It was really embarrassing. The doc got a video and put it on the internet. It got a lot of hits and it made me realise I wanted to give music a shot on the side of my art career.

Anyway back to the gorgeous man and the about-to-explode thing. I ran over and pried the rubble off his body. I get it off him, help him up and over to cover. He looks at me confused.

"It's about to explode," I explain from my protective position.

"How can you tell?" The guy asks back.

"Seen it enough times to see the early warning signs." I look around the cover and see it getting dangerous. "Everyone else should be out of range, but I'd suggest they get to cover too."

He informs his team to duck for cover. They argue back and he yells that it's going to explode. That gets everyone out of the way real fast, except the blond guy who's still fighting the doc. Great!

"Doc! Get to cover, or I swear I will post that video I have of you online." I yell. I hear an indignant gasp, but then I hear shuffling and I know he's listening.

"That video?" The guy asks.

"I don't really have a video, but he doesn't know that," I whisper. "Julian... by the way." I smile extending my hand.

Before he can take my hand, the machine explodes and the room is ravaged by dust and smoke. I smell burning and look around. There is a fire. I see the doc quickly slipping out of the room. He always leaves me behind.

"Sorry, but the doc got away and the rooms were on fire. Mind helping me clear the building?" I say while trying to get up. I stand fully and rush over to my bag. I get out a travel fire extinguisher. Not the first time there has been a fire. I move over to the fire and start spraying the most dangerous areas. I get out my phone and speed dial the fire department.

"Hello- Yeah Steve, it's me... It wasn't my fault. No. No casualties. I can't contain this for long. Good. See you in 10. Thanks, man. Bye." I hang up the phone. The fire department is on its way.

I spray the last of the fire extinguisher on the edges of the flames five minutes later.

"You got the building clear yet?" I yell to the guy in leather who stayed with the fire while the rest went to clear the building.

"Almost." He replies while talking on his radio.

"Great. 5 minutes until the fire department comes. I'm out, so we should get out of here. I can help get people out, just tell me what to do." I say grabbing his arm and pulling him out of the room.

I cough as I get out of the room. He seems fine, but then I notice he had something to stop him from inhaling the smoke. He looks at me concerned.

"So Julian, why are you helping?" He asks as we run down the halls, checking rooms and manoeuvring any people we find to the exits.

"I get paid to assist the doc, but I don't harm people. I needed the money, not people's lives on my conscience. He's bad at being an evil mastermind anyway. That's why I expect things to blow up. Actually, I was surprised the Heroics even showed up. So why did you?" I cough out.

He was silent for a moment. Breathing heavily, he looks me up and down. Assessing if I'm being honest. He seems to get his answer.

"My name is Marcus. I'm the leader of the Heroics. We've recently had a bit of trouble. I thought taking this guy on would have been good as a test."

"I think you failed if it was a test." I chuckle. He looks at me unamused.

***