Chapter 5 || Plot Twist Time! 😳 Oops-- (Keefe's POV)

Keefe's POV (Present Tense)

You'll never guess what I made just now! No really, you'll never guess! I don't think I will either because I have no idea what this crazy contraption is. I'm still getting a hang of this whole "Technopath" thing. I mean, I just got the ability last morning! Did you expect me to know how to make every single gadget imaginable? Actually, if you did, I get it. You think I'm awesome—and I am. I can't do everything, though I sure make it seem like it, right? *insert image of Keefe smirking here*

"Get your butt down here already," my dad groans from downstairs. "I've been telling you for half an hour!"

"Ugh, Dadddddd," I grumble in protest.

"Do you want dinner or not?" he questions.

"I don't, actually. Thanks for the thought," I retort sarcastically.

"You will have dinner, and that's an order! Now get down here."

"Fine, but I'm going to Havenfield afterward!"

"Sure."

I roll my eyes and head downstairs. It's not that I don't want dinner... it's that I want to help Foster. She's still acting weirdly from what I heard from Biana. But did you know that this ability switch thing happened to Glitter Girl and Mr. Fancy-Pants too? That's right: Fitz is a Vanisher now, and Biana's a Telepath! Wonder how that's working out for them... but back to Mysterious Miss. F. What's up with her? She probably got Grady's ability and has been controlling her parents on accident. Ooooh, that doesn't sound too good. See this is why I need to check on her! She—

"You said you'd come down now!" Dad shouts. I sigh. "The sooner you come down here, the sooner you can go to Havenfield!" That's what gets me to dash downstairs. Hasta luego, bedroom!

I eat the food Dad made me, then get ready to leap to Havenfield. I bid goodbye to my dad. I hate to admit it, but his cooking is pretty awesome. I can't help but say, "Thank you!" as I wrap my consciousness around myself and reappear at Havenfield.

"Ugh, it's That Boy," a man says from the pastures.

"Excited to see you too, Grady!" I exclaim. "Is Foster around?"

"If you're talking about my daughter, then yes, she's in her room."

"Great! Bye!"

I dart into the house and see Edaline. I shout, "Hi Mrs. Ruewen!" Then I sprint up two flights of stairs to get to Sophie's room.

I'm about to bang the door open when I get the feeling that it might be politer to knock first. Also, what if she's changing? That'd be awkward.

Knock, knock! The door immediately opens.

Only, it's not Sophie at the door.

Actually, nobody's at the door.

Then, out of nowhere, Foster appears.

"Oh my gosh!" I shout. "You switched abilities with someone too and now you're a Vanisher! I'm betting it was Biana! Was it Biana? Is she overpowered now?" I wait for her to answer but she stands there silently. "Uhhh... everything okay?" I ask empathetically. (A/N: AHHAHAHAHAHA EMPATH-ETICALLY HEE HEE HEE AHAHAHA) 

Her eyes bolt to me and she shakes her head a little, as if she was just daydreaming.

"Um, Foster? You good? Do you need me to check your emot— right, I can't do that anymore. Erm, I guess do you want me to hail Dex? He could help! He's super powerful now, 'cus he's got my Empath skills." I smirk forcefully. Sophie sighs and grabs my hand. I feel a blast of cold that crawls down my fingers and through my palm. Well that's weird.... She leads me to her bed and nudges me to sit down. She then plops down beside me.

"Keefe, I've been feeling different lately. I haven't wanted to talk to my mom, dad, or friends. I'm so sorry for that. I should've told you. Do you forgive me?"

"Whoa— hold your alicorns. What's going on?" (A/N: I'm pretty sure I used the "Whoa—back the T. rex up" thing already because I recall looking up Keefe's exact words so I made this up instead 🤣 It's like "Hold your horses!" but with alicorns haha 😆)

"I don't know. Maybe I'm sick or something."

"Uh, that doesn't really happen in the Lost Cities."

She sighs. "I don't know what's happening."

"How about we restart the day! I'll pretend I came here to hang out with you this morning! Start from the top. Action!"

"Uh, Hi Keefe!" She blushes a little. There's my Foster.

"Good morning, Foster."

She opens her mouth to continue the skit, but suddenly collapses.

"SOPHIE!!!"

"Keefe, something's wrong with my abilities—" (Only a few people will remember this from the description! I had to edit it a little to make it work though.)

Black lines that look like thick pencil marks leak out of Sophie's fingers. I glance at her face. A third of her facial expression shows confusion, another third shows some unexplainable determination, and the other third is just blank.

"Help!" I cry out in desperation. "Somebody, please!" Grady and Edaline must be outside, unable to hear me. But where are Sophie's overprotective bodyguards when you need them? No seriously, where are they? Oh right, today was the bodyguard meeting day. Ro told me about it. Apparently, they're deciding whether they should kick their training lessons up a notch or not. WHY TODAY OF ALL DAYS?!

I look around. The shadows seem like they're closing in. Wait... uh-oh. I think... I think Sophie is a Shade.

A/N: Did you enjoy reading Keefe's POV? Guess whose POV is up next!!!

Bye guys/gals/non-binary folk!!! Have a great day/night! Thanks for reading! You guys are truly amazing 🤩