chapter 15: jealousy, jealousy

Jake pulls me up from the sand and kisses me after slipping the ring on my finger. "I love you so much," he says, giving me another kiss.

"Wait- I don't want this to be big news yet. I need my dad to know first before anyone else. I was headed home after this anyway. I think you should go with me, he deserves to hear it from the both of us. My mom will be over the moon, she loved you as soon as she met you," I say and walk towards my motorcycle. He gets on behind me and I drive slowish, enjoying every moment. We make it back and I immediately head to his office.

After a quick knock on the door, I give Jake a look telling him to wait outside a moment. "Dad, it's me," I say, entering his office, leaving the door open behind me.

"How was your meeting with Phoenix?" He smiles, typing and I give him a wide smile.

"It was good, Bradley showed up so I got to catch up with both of them. I think they like each other, there was something about the looks they gave the other," I say and he chuckles.

"You seem happy for the first time since you've been back, does a certain pilot have something to do with that?" He types with a knowing look. The ring. Fuck, I forgot to take it off.

"It does, actually," I say, giving Jake a small nod to enter.

"Sir, I know I broke your daughters heart, but mine was just as broken. We talked about what happened, and I realized that I still can't live without her. With your blessing, I would be honored to marry her and love her for the rest of my life," Jake says to my father, but looking at me the whole time.

Dad stands up and looks at the ring with a nod of approval. He looks at Jake and holds my hand. "I will say yes on one condition, you marry before I die so I can walk my little snowflake down the aisle," he says and my eyes fill with tears. This means so much to him that he said it to Jake even though it probably hurts to speak.

"Of course, thank you sir," Jake says and shakes his hand. I squeeze my dad's hand and he looks at me fondly, like he is watching an old film he used to love that holds sentimental value.

"I think we should tell Mom, but thank you Dad. No matter what, I'll always be your little snowflake," I kiss Dad's cheek and he smiles, sitting back in his chair. Jake takes my hand and we go to find my mom. It doesn't take long to find her in the living room, watching a true crime series on Netflix. "Hey Mom, do you have a minute?" I ask and she turns around, pausing her show.

"Yes I do, oh, Delilah you didn't tell me we would have a guest or I would've made myself presentable and cleaned up a bit!" Mom says, standing up and walking over to us.

I laugh at her overthinking, "It's fine Mom, you look beautiful and the house is spotless."

"Yes, thank you, well it's a pleasure to see you again, Jake," She says to Jake and gives me a subtle look.

"It's nice to see you again too, and Delilah is right, you look wonderful ma'am," He compliments her and she smiles politely to him.

"Thank you, and if I may be so bold, I wasn't really expecting to see you," she replies and he nods.

"Me either, but here I am," Jake laughs and looks over to me before continuing, "I just came with your daughter to talk to Admiral Kazansky about a very important matter concerning her. I came to ask for his permission to marry her."

My mom looks shocked and looks down at our intertwined hands and the diamond ring showing. "Oh my god!" She squeals and kisses Jake's cheek then my forehead. "Congratulations, we need to start planning the wedding. Do you want a summer wedding? No, maybe fall, it will be cooler. Oh we need to book everything, there is no time to waste," she says, running around the living room.