play it safe

Avery was changing into a blue bikini when Belly entered their room with her suitcase.

"I missed this room," the younger girl sighed, looking around before snuggling with Junior Mint on the bed.

"I missed you," Avery replied, taking Junior Mint and giving him a kiss on the nose before returning him to his owner. "Seriously. There's too much testosterone."

"Okay, rude," Jeremiah said as he entered the room unannounced. "Hi, Junior Mint." He took to bear and made him do a little dance and wave at the two girls. "I can't believe you still have that bear."

"Duh, I would never throw out Junior Mint."

"And I would never let you," Avery added, making them all laugh. She was as attached to the bear as Belly at that point.

"Belly, let's swim before dinner. Please. Avery's already coming," Jeremiah invited.

"I... I can't. I have to go with my mom to Whale of a Tale. I promised earlier."

"Please? Pretty please?" Jeremiah was borderline whining at this point, and Avery could barely keep in a giggle. Belly was fighting a smile too, already caving.

"Come on Bells, we haven't seen you in ages! Plus, I'm sure Laurel will understand. It'll give her extra time with Susannah and my mom to catch up!" Avery added, genuinely wanting to go swim with both of her friends.

"Yes. Fine. Screw it, let's go swim," Belly replied, a smile breaking across her face. Jeremiah and Avery fist-bumped before the latter grabbed her towel and they made their way to the door. "Meet you downstairs."

As the three teenagers headed to the beach, Belly informed them that her dad was going to come to Cousins for the Fourth of July with his new girlfriend. "Don't you think it's weird?" Belly asked.

"Not really, I love your dad," Jeremiah replied with a shrug.

"What was it like when your mom started dating Jason?" the younger girl asked Avery. The latter immediately tensed, closing her eyes and taking deep breaths before opening her eyes again.

"I doubt your dad's girlfriend will be anything like him." She couldn't say his name, even with years of therapy.

"Maybe. Still, they've only been divorced for, like, a year and a half," Belly continued. "Plus, Ariana waited eight years after Nick died until she dated again." Internally, Avery was wishing with everything in her that they could just change the subject. Her former stepfather was a taboo topic in general, let alone in comparison to other people's lives. The only ones at the Beach House who knew what happened in the three years that he was with Ariana were Susannah, Ariana, Laurel, and Avery. And that was exactly how the Cooper girl liked it.

Luckily, Jeremiah noticed Avery's tense figure. He knew she hated talking about that time in her life because his mom told him and Conrad never to bring it up, but he never knew why. Still, he wrapped an arm around her shoulders and pulled her in tight. "Anyone up for a race?"

"That's not fair," Avery said, pouting at the boy. "Your legs are longer than mine." At her side, she started counting down with her fingers. Belly smirked as she understood what the Cooper girl meant.

"Yeah, it wouldn't be a fair race," Belly said, taking off with Avery in tow as they left Jeremiah in their dust.

"Unfair!" He shouted after them, sprinting to catch up. Ever the track star, Avery made it to the water first and put her hands in the air as she celebrated her victory. It was short-lived, though, as Jeremiah decided to tackle her into the waves. The three of them played in the water for hours until a very hungry and impatient Steven called them to dinner.