10

Mr. Dougal was twisting a red vial in his hands when I woke up. It was a strange-looking red, not like blood or paint. It was almost and orangish color at the top, but intensified into red at the bottom of the vial.

I sat up and yawned. "What's that?" I pointed to Mr. Dougal's vial.

"Blood of both of the men that were at the house. I found some of Mr. Skank's on St. Groit's coat pocket. I have to send these to the Sun City, where the warriors will examine it. Fire Immortal blood is valuable, as you will come to find out."

I squinted and looked at Crimson. His jaw was set tight, and he was gripping the steering wheel hard. I wanted to tell him something that would make him feel better, but no words came to mind.

Once they dropped me off, I went inside and found my grandmother leaning against the railing of the stairs.

"Out with Crimson?" She inquired and held my note up. My cheeks flamed, and I suddenly felt really self-conscious.

"I had to help him check on something," I explained in a quieted voice.

She gave me an indubitable look before hugging me. "Don't do that again without at least waking me up. This granny will wake up early if that's what it takes."

I smiled to her and went up the stairs silently.

<><><><><><><>

Mr. Dougal and I were riding in my truck back to his place. I was so concentrated on the thoughts of Emry, and the thought of losing her to this whole Sun Weilder business, that I didn't even hear Mr. Dougal say something to me. I felt a pain in my upper arm and looked at him.

Mr. Dougal was smiling at me, his left hand really red, or as Emry would say, red as my hair.

"What was that for?" I asked and glanced at my arm. It had a hand print that was glowing red on it and the burn stung like acid.

"It's because I've been trying to talk to you for five minutes and all you could do was stare and look as if you wanted to punch somebody."

"I do want to punch someone," I muttered gruffly.

Mr. Dougal just sat back. I always thought Mr. Dougal was a little off the beaten path, an odd man to get to know. But Emry always looked at him with profound respect and awe, and that had me wondering if I should take a different perspective when viewing Mr. Dougal as a person.

"Does she know you love her as much as you do?" Mr. Dougal asked after a while.

"Good question," I began. "She knows I at least like her, because I kissed her once or twice. I couldn't keep myself from it. Anyways, I'm betting she doesn't know how much I really do like her. If there was only a way I could show her without messing our whole relationship up."

Mr. Dougal nodded and closed his eyes. "There will come a way and a time. I wanted to ask you something else."

We were getting pretty close to his neighborhood; I nodded silently.

"I've been up at the high school a few times, just looking at it and the students. I've seen some Pillagers of Ice, and that worries me deeply. Here's what I-"

"Can't we call them something else?" I cut in, "Like, Icees or Of Ice and Men? Why does it have to be 'Pillagers of Ice'? Sounds too Medieval if you ask me."

Mr. Dougal opened his eyes and sat up. "Pillagers of Ice has been a term handed down in Sun Weilder tradition since before any of us living today were here. We are taught to respect that name."