Chapters 161-170

Chapter 160: Entanglements, his stance

Long Feiye had his back to Han Yunxi, but he sensed her as soon as she stopped. When he turned around, it was to see Han Yunxi looking at the closed down Tender Fragrance Teahouse. He wanted to speak up but stopped himself, looking at her with a cool gaze.

Han Yunxi was wondering whether Long Feiye was the one to close down Gu Qishao's teahouse again. Did he do it because he caught her eating here last time?

She couldn't help but feel distress for Gu Qishao's sake again. The Celestial Fragrance Teashop had a criminal record, so Long Feiye had every excuse to shut down his properties and investigate them. Why couldn't Gu Qishao learn to keep a low profile? Han Yunxi was about to leave when she discovered Long Feiye looking at her. Immediately, she averted her eyes.

"Do you know Gu Qishao very well?" Long Feiye asked simply.

Han Yunxi shook her head. "Your Highness is investigating him, so you should know him better than chenqie, right?"

Indeed, Long Feiye had done investigations, but only found out that Gu Qishao was a wealthy merchant whose businesses could be found all over the place. As for his poison skills and potential martial arts master, there were no clues. Judging by his age, he had to have some sort of backing, wealth, or family properties to be so successful while so young. Unfortunately, Chu Xifeng hadn't found much information at all.

"Your lordship has seen that you two are quite close," Long Feiye said, clearly referencing the scene from that night at the Tender Fragrance Teahouse. Han Yunxi resented this type of interrogation. She hadn't even asked him about anything, so what right did he have to question her private life?

"In any case, he's saved chenqie's life once, so he could be considered a friend." About 70 percent of Han Yunxi's words stemmed from the truth. Although Gu Qishao was neither honest nor respectable, at least he wasn't an enemy. She rather have one more friend than one more foe. Long Feiye only gave her a deep look without asking any more. Then he turned and kept walking. They'd been uncommunicative from the start, but their silence grew after this conversation. Still, as Han Yunxi followed, Long Feiye maintained his slow pace. With one behind the other, they managed to come to a tacit understanding.

Han Yunxi had been walking with her head bowed the entire time, lost in her own world. Suddenly, Long Feiye's voice sounded from above her. "Hungry?"

She looked up and found that he was standing in front of her. One more step, and she would've bumped into him again.

"A bit." Actually, her stomach had started rumbling like a thunderstorm a long time ago. But every time she was with this guy, she seemed to change into another person. She wouldn't call herself restrained or reserved now, but extremely pinched.

Long Feiye said nothing as he entered a restaurant, with Han Yunxi quickly following behind him. He asked for a private room, and the two of them sat down across a table, where he pushed over the menu to signal her to order. Han Yunxi didn't refuse, but chose a few dishes that she liked before pushing the menu back to him. Long Feiye only gave it a cursory glance before ordering a flask of wine and calling for the dishes.

While they waited, their silence stretched to fill the room until everything seemed to grow still. Han Yunxi wasn't used to such silence and accidentally met Long Feiye's eyes when she looked up. She gave a start and waited to look away, deciding to talk about a random topic instead.

"Your Highness, is there any news about the masked man from last time?"

Although Madame Li was dead and most of Tianning's hidden spies had been eliminated, the masked man still existed as a great threat. With Long Feiye's personality, how could he simply let things go?