Chapter One

Few Days Later

When Zina almost fainted I swear my heart almost stopped. I thought the worst had happened and I immediately blamed myself because it was my fault for taking her to see her mother. If she could even be called a mother. But thankfully after we came home, with a few hours of rest she was up and well again.

She seems okay but somehow like she isn't truly. She's recluded back into her old ways. She's not talking and she doesn't eat much. Zina shows all the signs of someone suffering from trauma. I find myself praying it's not PTSD. Her little body clings to me wherever I go. Not that I mind but I know it's because I'm her only safety net.

If I had known this would happened I would have done everything differently. I would have made Leonis find another way to get Jemila to sign over her parental rights without Zina having to see her. But it's too late now.

What's done is done. Now all I can do is pick up the pieces and try by my best to help her feel better.

"Zina won't you please eat, for me. Please."

I don't know what to do to get her to eat dinner. I'm getting worried. She hasn't eating all day and she barely ate yesterday after we came back home. She only looks at the plate pushing it one side. Shrugging her cute little shoulders in defiance.

I've already eaten. I didn't leave the table before, I'm afraid if I do she won't sit back down.

"Please Zina. What do I have to do to get you to eat? I'll do anything."

She pulls out her phone and starts tying away. Holding it up she shows me.

I don't want to go to school tomorrow. I want us to spend the day together.

"Yeah. If you get a day off from school you'll eat?"

She mouths out, yes. I got her enrolled and I'd hate her missing a day in her studies so soon but I'll hate her not eating even more. The choice was pretty much made for me.

"Okay, no school tomorrow."

Zina pulls the plate back and starts to eat slowly. I watch her making sure she's alright. She chews slowly like she's not really tasting anything just eating for the sake of eating. I get up taking my plate to the sink. If only Seline were here maybe she'd be able to get through to her.

Going back over I sit beside her rubbing her back. Her dreads fall down like ropes. I know she wants to get them re-twisted. So maybe if she's up for it we can do that tomorrow evening.

Zina eats until she must be full. Looks up at me. I use a napkin to wipe her face. Picking up her plate I throw the rest away. She ate most of it.

"Zina let's to bed."

She gets up taking my hand. We climb the stairs together heading to my room. She hasn't slept in her own room for awhile now. Since we've started dating. We gets into bed together with her pressing her face up against my chest. I hold her wishing I knew what to do to make her better.

I kiss her forehead and whisper.

"Good night. I love you."

Right before I shut my eyes I hear the faintest voice.

"I love you too."
....

Waking to the screams of person you love is something I don't wish on anyone.

Mathias didn't take a moment to even question if something was wrong. With tension weighing him down because Zina's nightmare made her scream out in terror, he sat up. Back against the headboard he drew Zina's fragile body to his lap.

"I'm here Zina. You're safe little one."

Even as he said this there was a great part of him that knew his words might not fully make her feel okay. But all he could do is continue to hold her rocking her on his lap.

"Breathe baby. I'm here you are safe."

Zina's scream gradually lulled until soft cries are heard. He wondered what he could do to help her. He'd pay his entire fortune to take all her fears away.

Mathias bent kissing her temple. While tight unflinching grip held his shirt for dear life. As if he is the only thing grounding his love. He rubs her back. Not asking what she dreamt about. He knew she wouldn't speak to him now.

She has stopped talking since they came back from Jemila's apartment.

When he felt her body still with some sense of calm he braces her face away from his chest to look at her eyes. He couldn't make their color out in the dark but Mathias knew underneath her lashes would be soaked.

He inhaled deeply. Zina inched closer to try and put her face back in his chest.
He used his thumb to wipe her tears away letting her.

"Do you want to talk about it? Hmm."

Zina shook her head.

Answering with only this and familiar silence.

"You don't have to. But I'm here to listen whenever you're ready. "

He rubs her back.

"How would you feel about getting your dreads re-twisted tomorrow afternoon?"

Mathias asks.

Waiting patiently to see if she'll answer. Even if just one word answer. I won't force her to speak but I'll still talk to get her opinion same how if it concerns her in anyway.

After what felt like five minutes Zina grants me with the faintest "ok."

That is enough for now. I have faith in time she will talk to me again.

"Alright."

With that I sit holding Zina until she falls back asleep. She slept softly this time every now twitching as if she were dreaming again. Each time I would squeeze her to me so she'll feel me close.

For most of that night he sat just so holding her. Around 2 am Mathias fell asleep himself in this position. It wasn't the ideal way to sleep but he felt better knowing him holding Zina allows her to rest better then that's okay.

The last thought he had before darkness took him is.

Please god help my little one heal.

Are you guys ready for the rest of Zina and Mathias story. This was highly requested that I continue with this story, but I wanted to too. I feel like there is so much left unsaid for them at the end of the first book.

Some house keeping. The chapters will be on the shorter side. Roughly 1200 - 1600 words. Maybe a few will be longer than this but overall I want to keep them this length as this was the length from the previous book.

With shorter chapters there might be more chapters. I'm expecting this story maybe be around 25 to 35 chapters. We'll see don't quote me as I write as I go so it could be more or less. I have some interesting things planned for this story so stay tuned.

Thank you guys soooooo much for waiting for this for so many months. I hope I can deliver the story you guys were hoping for.

Please comment any thoughts you'd like to share on this chapter.

Unedited.