Chapter 9

— Knuckles stretched out his legs and arms the best he could. The bruising has gone down and any soreness he had disappeared. He was ready to get back in action. But he knew he had to wait and make sure Amy was ok before they did anything.
— And Amy insisted they needed a plan and all. He disagreed but now wasn't really the time to argue.
— They had taken refuge at the Angel Island, were the Chaos emerald was thankfully. It was Knuckles' job to make sure this emerald never got into the hands of someone like Robotnik.
— Knuckles leaned against a pillar, waiting to Amy who was getting ready. His mind wandered to the fight a couple days ok. He knew something bad was going to happen with that plan. Sonic was reckless at times and sometimes Knuckles never understood why the hedgehog let his guard down so easily. But it was just who he was. He never saw anybody as a true enemy. The echidna on the other end begged a differ.
— This Miles character was dangerous and sly. He had managed to build a robot like that and if he made all the robots for Robotnik then he was even smarter. Each robot that Team Sonic fought seemed to improve and become tougher to take down. Knuckles had to give it to Miles; he was not someone to be trifled with and he knew his opponents. From a warrior stand point, the echidna admired it. But from every other stand point it was dangerous.
— He knew that this fox had gone through something, they he would fully understand it. And it would make sense that Eggman would be the first person to go to since he was the first nice person to Miles. But still, Knuckles knew something was up. He couldn't always tell whenever the Doctor was up to something but after being tricked multiple times, he now knew something was going to happen. It was unlike the doctor to dupe someone or work with someone and not use them.
— "Earth to Knuckles, come in Knuckles." Amy's voice suddenly snapped him out of his thoughts. She was standing in front of him, leaning against her hammer.
— "Right sorry. Were you saying something?"
— "I was asking you if you could help me train." Amy replied.
— "Oh yeah sure." Knuckles nodded and walked a bit away from her, rolling his shoulders. He brought up his fists as she brought up her hammer.
— The two started with Amy swinging the hammer as the echidna got closer to her. He weaved in an out but she kept a clear distance.
— "I was thinking... for a plan... to get Sonic back. We could... recruit Team Chaotix... to spy around the place." Amy explained through each breath and hit.
— "That could work. I still think we... should go in there... by ourselves." Knuckles responded in the same labored way.
— "We could... if we weren't... outnumbered..."
— "Hm."
— The continue to do a weave and hit pattern for a little bit. Then they stopped and took a break. "Maybe Sonic will find a way to get out." Amy commented. Knuckles didn't say anything but an idea popped into his head.
— "I still I think our best bet is to just go in there. But you're right, we need a plan. We could contact Team Chaotix." The echidna admitted.
— "Great! I'll contact them!" Amy said, then she left quickly after, leaving him there with his thoughts.
— Whatever plan they were working on, his hoped it worked. For everyone's sake.

***

— Miles stepped away from the machine. It was half finished, but he needed a small break. The fox thought for a moment and then headed down into the kitchen, sneaking past Robotnik who was in his own lab, and by the robots that patrolled the halls. Once he had arrived, Miles piled a stack of food on the plate, grabbed a glass of water, and carefully carried it down into the cells. Sonic was pacing, looking a little sickly.
— He didn't notice the fox at first but after a moment he did. "Tails?"
— "Miles. And I brought you some food and water." The fox murmured. He set the plate and glass down, disabled the electric field on the bars, and carefully slipped both inside the cell.
— "Thanks!" Sonic said eagerly. Despite his hands being tied up, they were in front of him so it was easier to eat. Miles sat back against the wall, looking at the floor. It felt strange to be down here alone, offering his prisoner food. But he wasn't a monster and he wasn't going to let the hedgehog starve. Even if he was the enemy.
— Something gently bumped his leg and the fox looked up. The plate laid there with uneaten crackers and cheese slices. And a few grapes. Miles looked at Sonic confused, but he just looked back leisurely.
— "What are you doing?" The fox asked cautiously.
— "Offering you some food. It's what friends do, sometimes." Sonic explained.
— Miles scoffed a bit. "We are not friends."
— "Agree to disagree."
— "No there isn't any agree to disagree."
— "If we weren't friends then why'd you visit me one more time? Why'd you bring me food?" Sonic questioned. Though he already had a small smirk. Miles found it annoying how observant he was. He'd just play it off like nothing.
— "I visited it cause I wanted more answers to some questions. I brought food cause you wouldn't starve. If you did we couldn't use you for anything." He said coldly.
— "Yeah ok. Fine then Tails, what's your question?"
— "Again, it's Miles. And I was wondering about the adventures you've been on." Now there was a true grin on the hedgehog's face. He leaned forward, took one last drink from the water, slid the glass out from his cell, and said:
— "Get comfortable, we'll be here for a bit."