~Chapter Twenty One~

You can never really know a person fully, inside and out. Nobody has the power to reach into someone and feel every part of them, reach what's buried deep, deep down in the depths of them. And if a person is wearing a mask, it's only them that can unveil it. It's only them that can peel off layers of their skin so they're exposed.

But even so, as Parker watched this scene unfold he knew Will felt as vulnerable as ever, like a deer caught in headlights, unprepared to be hit by a monster truck at an unstoppable speed. Jack was looking at Will like he was a different species, like they weren't born and bred in the same family, not cut from the same cloth.

"We need to talk," Jack told Will, who was frozen like a statue.

Six months. They hadn't seen each other in six months, hadn't spoken a word to each other in three, almost four months. He knew Jack kept up with Will's antics through articles and pictures that surfaced after one of the boy's infamous wild nights out.

"There's nothing to talk about," Will clipped, and Parker placed a comforting hand on the boy's shoulder. However the younger boy shrugged it off, missing the wounded look that flashed in Parker's eyes.

Jack wasn't surprised Parker managed to make it to New York. He still knew little about their relationship and what they meant to each other, but Will had a whole other life nobody seemed to know about. His innocent, little brother was one hell of a liar, and one hell of an actor. He shouldn't have been surprised though, because after all, Will was a Lockwood.

"Oh there's plenty to talk about, starting with Dylan's trial," Jack reminded him.

"I thought I made myself pretty clear. I want nothing to do with it," Will replied.

"You will when you hear what I have to say," Jack argued.

Will swallowed thickly, then turned to Parker. "Can we speak privately?" he asked, nodding in the direction of the kitchen.

"Sure," Parker muttered, following Will into the other room. As he walked out, Jack sent him a pleading look that read 'please get him to cooperate', but Parker didn't have much hope. This was yet another thing he had lied to Will about. It was obvious by his lack of surprise at Jack's presence that he was involved in the plan beforehand.

As soon as they were alone Will said, "You knew."

Parker didn't deny it and simply nodded. "I think you'll want to hear what Jack has to say."

"If you knew why couldn't you just tell me?" Will snapped.

Because I couldn't stomach it, was what Parker wanted to say. Instead he said, "Jack told me not to."

"Still forever loyal to Jack. How sweet," Will bitterly responded.

Parker closed his eyes in frustration, pinching the bridge of his nose as he leaned against Will's kitchen island. He was so caught up in the drama that he hadn't had a chance to properly look at the place. The penthouse was huge, the kitchen alone was bigger than his old apartment with Xander. It was all the pair of them could afford when looking for a place, and when thinking about it Parker once again felt that pang in his chest at the friendship he had lost.

"It's not about loyalty. You know how important you are to me, Will," Parker snapped back. "I'm here because I care." I care a little too much.

"You had no intention of ever being my friend, did you? Jack convinced you to come here, so you lied to me to do it," Will said, voice breaking though he tried to hide it by clearing his throat afterwards. But everything about him was shaky: his voice, his bones, his false strong front.