i i

Wednesday, 31 October, 1984

"You two look great," says Steve when he stops by Nancy's house to pick us up for Tina's Halloween party.

Steve and Nancy are going as Joel and Lana from "Risky Business." I chose Sandy from "Grease" as my costume.

"Thanks, Steve," says Nancy, taking him by the arm and leading him to the car.

When we arrive at the party, I am caught off guard by how many drunk teenagers there are. I don't really go to parties, and for good reason. There are people everywhere, drinking, dancing, making out, the works.

We shove our way inside and I wander off to leave Nancy and Steve alone. They're still together, but things have become increasingly weird between the two. Nancy's eyes just don't light up the way they used to when she sees him. But yet, Steve still follows her around like a lost puppy.

As I'm dancing, I see Nancy and Steve across the room. Nancy has a drink in hand and is spinning around in circles, clearly drunk. He follows her to the kitchen and tries to stop her from getting another drink. They argue about something and he accidentally spills the cup of red punch down the front of her blouse. They disappear to clean her up.

"Hey." A guy I don't recognize puts his hand on my shoulder. "Let's dance."

I flash him a fake smile. "I'm good."

"No, I insist." The guy puts his hands on my waist, pulling me closer to him.

I struggle against him, but he's a lot bigger than me.

"Let go of me," I say.

"Just one dance, sweetheart," he insists. I can smell the alcohol on his breath.

"Stop touching me," I say.

The guy pulls me even closer, causing me to fight more.

"What's your fucking problem?" asks someone. Steve. "She said no, get your fucking hands off of her."

The guy releases me, and I stumble backwards. Steve lays a hand on my back to steady me, not daring to take his eyes away from my attacker.

"I was just-" the guy begins.

"I was just," mocks Steve. "Shut the fuck up. I don't want to see you come close to her, ever again."

My attacker sneers. "Or what?"

Steve balls up his fists, looking ready to punch the guy.

"Steve," I say. "Just leave it. Let me take you home."

He turns to me. "Mandy, I'm not going to leave it. He could have hurt you."

"But he didn't. I'm okay. Let's just go."

His face softens. "Okay."

We head out to his car. Steve is about to get into the drivers' seat when I stop him.

"Keys," I demand, holding out my hand.

"It's my car," he argues.

"I saw you drinking earlier," I shoot back.

"Fine." He surrenders the keys and gets in the passenger seat.

I'm about to drive away when I remember something. "What about Nancy?" I ask.

"I don't give a crap about Nancy right now," says Steve.

"Is everything alright?" I ask.

"No." He doesn't elaborate, so I don't push him.

We get to Steve's, so I start walking down the path that leads to my street.

"You can stay here," says Steve.