Knowledge

A week before the coronation

Athena had been their normal duties of a royal guard in training that night, you know, standing guard for hours at a time on the top of the stairs of the palace. (When they agreed to be a royal guard, this was not the part of the job they wanted.)

Nothing seemed to be out of the usual, and Athena was looking forward to getting off duty and heading straight to bed. The fates had other ideas.

After returning inside of the castle, Athena heads to the royal guard living quarters to grab a quick snack before heading off to bed. There had been more guards than usual, about fifteen, in the kitchen seemingly just eating and chatting together, even the newest incomer, Erebus, Athena thinks her name is, stands quietly in the corner. (Athena still questions how Erebus got accepted as a royal guard so fast knowing she is new to the kingdom.)

Athena stalks up to the other guards who all resided near a specific counter. "What's going on here?" Athena asks the group crossing their arms.

"Ah Athena." A big burly dude says standing straight and lifting his drink. "We were just having a midnight chat. We're off for the night as someone found others to take our shift."

"Who?" Athena asks uneasily. It was rare for the royal guards that guarded the royal living quarters to have time off especially during the night.

"Ah some new guy. You'd like him. He comes off as really intimidating at first but is a real nice guy. His name is...um Hades? I believe." Athena raises and eyebrow. They must have not met yet. (Although Athena knows about everyone who resides in the castle, even becoming somewhat friends with the royal twins.)

"Huh. I wish he would've taken my shift also." Athena mumbles tiredly and joins the group.

||•••||

Almost an hour and a half later, Athena sits alone in the kitchen. They had a brief conversation with Erebus before she left to go to bed.

Although Athena had been complaining all day about being tired, they felt to uneasy at the moment to get any shuteye.

So, why not roam the castle?

They tie their silver hair back in a ponytail to keep out of their face and slowly walk towards the throne room, which was near the queens living quarters, so they had to be quiet.

She couldn't see well, considering an accident while she was training to be a knight left them partially blind in one eye, so they trained themselves to fight and navigate in the dark. And they relied on mostly hearing even in broad daylight.

So, the slow footsteps coming from the Queen's quarters was startling.

Quickly, Athena unsheathed their sword, quietly making their way to the corridor. The footsteps stopped the closer Athena got. They had the feeling that whoever was back there knew of their presence.

Almost taunting, the air around them became silent leaving Athena completely "blind". Athena waited a beat before turning into the corridor.

Three steps in and they were grabbed.

The unknown figure kicked Athena's sword out of their hand and onto the carpeted floor, lack of clatter means lack of anyone else's attention.

Thrown harshly against the wall, the intruders hand immediately went over Athena's mouth and a dagger aimed at their throat.

It was deafening how loud the silence was.

Athena glared at the figure, trying to figure out what his next move was.

"You know..." the figured murmured into the darkness, "I should kill you. No one should've been in here. But..." He took his hand off Athena's mouth though the dagger stayed put.

"You're kind of cute."

Athena gawked at him like he just ate a helpless puppy.

"Um..." Athena squints their eyes and could make out the strangers blue eyes and mask that made it impossible to know what he looked like.

"Who are you?" Athena finally asks hoping to understand the situation better. Immediately, he backed away from Athena, towards the dark side of the corridor.

"Knowledge is power. You know too much."

And with that, he was gone.

•||•

The next day brought tragedy.

Athena put two and two together. They had let an assassin get away.

Yes, I'm continuing the book, fight me😐