Chapter Three

I was sat with my back against the wall, hand wrapped around my legs, trying to keep myself warm from the slight breeze that was blowing past us; not to mention that I was desperate to try and close myself away from the memories of Jacob that were hitting me. I didn't need them to come to me at random times, but they did. I sighed and leant my head back, eyes closed.

"We're not going to be able to get through that." Andrea spoke up and I slowly peeled my eyes open, looking over at her as she stared over the side of the building; probably looking at the amount of walkers that were down on the ground. 

"What about the others? Can they help?" I asked, looking up from where I was sat. Andrea may not like me but it didn't mean that I wasn't going to ask some relevant questions.

"No," She almost sounded like she was biting the answer at me. "We're on our own." To be honest, I knew me and this woman weren't going to get on very well, that was evident in the way that she was talking to me but I was eventually going to find out what her problem was.

"There's no way they'd be able to get through that," Morales, one of the men who helped us out in the alley way, spoke up; looking over the edge of the building.

"Then she's right, we're on our own." Rick replied, staring down at the flood of people below.
"Above ground is completely over run, we'll never make it through."

"What about underground?" Rick suggested. "The sewers?"

"Glenn check the alley for man hole covers." Morales ordered and Glenn did as he was told, shaking his head.

"They must be out in the streets where all the walkers are." Glenn replied, moving back across the roof.

"You'll never make it past the geeks." Merle spoke up, his voice a little raspy.

"The basement." Jacqui spoke up, like she'd had an epiphany.

"What?" I asked, still playing with the necklace absent-mindedly.

"In old buildings like this they built a sewer entrance in the basement to drain out in case of flooding."

"How do you know that?" Glenn looked at her a little dumb founded.

"It used to be my job." Jacqui shrugged and we made our way down to the basement, leaving T-Dogg and Merle on the roof.

We headed down to the basement and Glenn had decided he wanted to walk the tunnels with Morales whilst we went and did our own thing to try and get out of here. Rick had decided that it was best that Jacqui stayed down there with them to keep watch so myself, Rick and Andrea made our way to the main section of the shop.

I didn't really want to be left alone anywhere with these people. To me, it seemed the only two people I could trust right now were Rick and Glenn. I trusted Rick more though; it must have been the sheriffs uniform.

Andrea and Rick were having a conversation whilst Andrea looked at a small necklace on the counter. I heard her mention something about her sister which made me chuckle a little (although she never heard me) I just hoped that if we managed to get out of this damn city; I'd maybe make progress with the younger one of the two.

I myself headed over to the little medicine counter at the back of the store. I needed to stock up on supplies as I didn't really know when it was that I was going to get another chance to get some kind of supplies like this. Once I'd had a good nose around and scrounged around at the back of some of the cupboards, I headed over towards the hair ties that were just sitting there on the shelf. I had one left with me and something told me that they were going to come in handy. I knew it was wrong to steal and standing in the presence of a cop probably wasn't the best situation for me to be in; but I did need everything I was taking.

"Annora," I heard Rick call my name from the other side of the store. "We need to get going." I nodded and shoved the ties into my bag, zipping it up and slinging the bag onto my back before grabbing hold of Rick's hand; not wanting to lose him.

When I was on my own, it was a little hard to stay alive, to keep going on every day not knowing if I was going to have to kill the walkers, but now I was with other people it seemed like a good idea to stick with them.

"We need to find another way out."

"Those things are attracted to sound right?" I asked, having heard the others talking about it earlier.

"Like dogs, they hear it, they come running." Morales looked at me like he was questioning my thought process.

"What else?" Rick questioned.

"They see you, smell you, if they catch you they kill you" Glenn responded, a small look of fear crossing his face.

"They can tell us by smell?" I asked again, looking around the group with my arms folded against my chest.

"Yeah, can't you?" Andrea answered sarcastically. "They smell dead, we smell alive. It's pretty distinct." Rick had an idea which shocked me a little.

"You want us to what?" I asked, raising an eyebrow. I didn't like the idea of grabbing one of the dead, cutting them open and smothering our bodies in the blood and guts. If anything, it made me want to be sick.