chapter 1

today was a really good day. i went shopping with my older sister, sydney. i needed to go shopping, and fast. tomorrow is maverick's birthday and i had to get him something special. its his 18th birthday after all.

maverick is my boyfriend of 2 1/2 years. he's been pretty distant lately, but he said it's because he's just stressed at school. it is our senior year.

for his birthday, i got a him a silver wristwatch. he's been complaining about how his current one stopped working a few weeks ago, and it's been giving me a damn headache.

now, im in the car with sydney on my way back to mav's apartment where i left my backpack. sydney dropped me off and went back to her own apartment.

as i walk inside the elevator, i sigh and click the button to the fifth floor. 517, that's his room.

i feel the elevator start moving, but after a few seconds it pauses. a guy walks into the elevator, standing a few feet away from me. he's tall. definitely taller than maverick, at least by four inches.

he's wearing an nyu hoodie. he must be in college.

his dark brown hair, almost black, lays messily on his head. my eyes wonder from his hair to his eyes. they're a pretty hazel color. his eyes move. he's looking at me.

"can you press the 4 button for me?"

his voice is deep. mesmerizingly deep.

i get shot out of my daydream suddenly and press the button for him. "yeah, sure."

he's attractive, nonetheless. the way he looks shows that he doesn't care about his appearance, yet he's still the most attractive man i can think of at this moment.

the elevator stops moving after a few more seconds. he starts walking out as the doors open, but he freezes. his body stays still, but his head turns slightly towards me.

"you're that girl that's dating maverick thompson, right?" shit. that's right. maverick.

"uh yeah, i'm delilah." why did i tell him my name?

"cool, so i'll see you at the party tonight?"

the end of the year party. our entire grade went. of course, maverick hosted it in his parents house.

his parents house was big. bigger than mine. it had a fancy staircase in the foyer, and a master bathroom that was bigger than my living room. it was the perfect place for a party.

why would he be going if he's in college?

"yeah, probably." i giggled nervously. why am i so awkward around guys? i'm literally dating someone.

"lit, catch ya later lilah."

and that's where it all started.