The Fascination

Keith was pacing before he heard a knock at the door. He bolted as fast as lightning. Lance stood there in shock, he's never opened the door that fast. Not even for him. Keith just up and left back to his desk, which in reality was the living room coffee table. Lance took that as a sign to enter.

"So... how's it going?" Lance asked carefully, knowing he was going to freak out any second.

"I don't know Lance, how do you think it's going?!"

He walked over placing the drinks on the table and sat on the floor next to his panicked partner. Lance noticed Keith wasn't wearing his jacket. Going by that, Keith must've been extremely anxious for days and never told anyone. Not even him.

They sat there in silence for a few moments before the silence was broken by a sudden whimper. Keith had enough and rested his head on the table. Soon after, he got up and started pacing again. Lance tried to reassure him but was unsuccessful. So he decided to pull out his art supplies and began to draw Juniberries. As he did so, he started to hum 'The Way You Make Me Feel' by Michael Jackson.

Keith, still pacing, started to talk to himself. This wasn't unusual, Lance learned to toon it out. That is until he heard him saying how he wasn't good enough and that he'll never be successful. Lance knew then and there that Keith wasn't just anxious, he was listening to the voices of past bullies. He never met them, but from what Keith told him about them, they were awful. Lance then made a quick decision while Keith was near. He grabbed his hand and made Keith look at him, dead in the eyes.

Lance started, "don't ever say that. ever."

Keith didn't know how to react. He just stared in shock and then looked down at his hand. He wasn't used to Lance acting this way, serious. It honestly scared him a little. 

"...I'm sorry..." He mumbled, words trembling as he spoke.

Lance noticed what he did. He didn't mean to make him feel that way. Sighing, he started to rub Keith's wrist. Once he seemed a little more at ease, he offered to let Keith watch him draw.

"Hey, why don't sit back down and watch me draw? It would be good to take your mind off everything." 

"Yeah...okay. What are you drawing anyway?" he questioned while sitting down beside him.

"Juniberries. They help calm my nerves."

"You're nervous?"

"Well, yeah," Lance started, "when you're nervous, I'm nervous." He looked back at Keith and gave a soft smile.

Keith never knew this about Lance. He found it truly interesting how much he was learning about him in one day. With that being said, they remained quiet for the next bit while Lance was concentrating.

----------

It had been roughly half an hour of complete silence. Keith was very much into the drawing process by this point. He found it fascinating. That's when he got caught up in Lance's deep blue eyes. They reminded him of space and Voltron. Lance eventually felt a different type of tension. It wasn't the type of tension of someone looking over your shoulder and what you were doing. It was the type where they were obviously watching you. He tried not to let it get to him but within minutes he was blushing and flustered. 

"Now you're the flustered one." Keith stated, with a big smile on his face, proudly.

"Yeah well- I- hmph" at a loss for words, he crossed his arms and looked away.

Keith laughed for the first time since Lance got there. When he looked back at him, it was the most beautiful sound he ever heard. He didn't know how much he missed it until he heard him. Lance then pulled him in for the biggest hug imaginable. He knew Keith wasn't a huge fan of hugs, but was surprised when he returned it. At that moment, he melted. 

"Laaance you're squishing me!" Keith squeaked happily.

He felt Lance's heart race. Keith loved hearing his heart beating, it always made him feel at home. Home is where he always wanted to be and if that wasn't where Lance was, he didn't want it.