9 ~ The Splotching match

"Who's ready for the Ultimate Splotching Championship?" Sir Caton asked as the Mentors strode into the amphitheater carrying huge sacks of tiny, brightly colored balls

  Everyone cheered, including me, maybe, just maybe, I could finally beat Fitzroy Avery Vacker.

  "What's the Ultimate Splotching Championship?" Sophie asked Dex.

  "Telekinesis," he grumbled. "I suck at telekinesis."

"I don't." I said bumping Dex's shoulder.

Sophie tried to look sympathetic, but I could tell she was secretly celebrating. "How does this work?" she asked as everyone partnered up. Naturally, she teamed with Dex. I grabbed Marella.

  "We push the splotcher at each other with our minds," he explained, "and whoever gets splattered loses. The winners play each other until there's only one left, and that person wins."

  "Everyone, on your marks," Sir Caton ordered, as Lady Alexine handed Dex a bright pink splotcher, Sophie a blue one. Marella a red one and I a green one. "Get set!"

Marella tossed the splotcher toward me. "Catch."

  It very nearly splattered the floor, but at the last second I managed to catch it with my mind.

  "Sorry, I forgot you're worse at this stuff than me," Marella said smugly. "At least I'll win one match this time."

I rolled my eyes. She knew I would beat her it always came down to me and Fitz, and he always won.

I took a deep breath, readying my mind.

  "Splotch!"

I pushed the warmth out through my fingers and sent it toward the splotcher.

  Splat!

  A not so stunned, Marella stared at Dex with bright pink slime running down his chin. Sophie'd nailed him right on his smug little grin. I sent her a thumbs up. She grinned at me.

  "Sorry," I said, I didn't really mean it but Marella had never really stood a chance.

  "It's okay," she said through a sigh. "I guess I deserved it."

  "Well done, Sophie!" Sir Caton interrupted, sounding more surprised than I would've liked. "Go ahead and move up to the winners. Dex can join those colorful prodigies over there." He pointed to a group forming on their left.

  Dex scowled. I laughed making him turn and glare at me with a slop of pink gunk drooling down his face.

"So what's the prize for this contest, anyway?" Sophie asked.

  "Usually a pardon from one punishment—but don't get your hopes up. Fitz always wins—not that he ever does anything to need a pardon." I mimed gagging. "Anyway, I hope you win a few more rounds." I say smiling at her and walking to the winners section.