Prologue

Who knew stars at night can make your day less stressful? Its glowing light makes tears flow. Problems, pains, and worries... it's all flowing out as if a warm hand is placed on my cheek to wipe the trickling tears while feeling the loud beat on my chest.

The somber skies above feel like they are sympathizing with me, and have decided to give me comfort. I swallowed the remaining bitter yet sweet wine from the glass.

The bleak December wind blew too hard that the thin blanket that I used for resting got ruined. I shivered.

"Aren't you going to eat? Dinner is ready, Chandra." A robot came with its pixelated smile. Channing, my house robot came up the rooftop. His hand extended, handing my coat to me.

"I have told you that it's 6 degrees celsius outdoors. Come inside, before hypothermia occurs." Channing said as he took the red scarf from his neck and wrapped it around mine. I smirked.

"What a cute gesture you have, Channing! Is that the new upgrade I saw on the internet?" I excitedly asked as I looked at the scarf, examining his new intelligence.

"Thank you, and yes, there is a new Winter update. LWinter 2.5, wherein I will get to feel the temperature, like you, Chandra. Sir Lenoxx also added a special action. It will only activate whenever the temperature drops below 20." Channing explained, referring to the scarf wrapped around my neck. The name mentioned rang in my ears.

"Now, let's head down for supper." He turned, as I eyed him heading down the stairs.

I remained standing, thinking about how Channing's upgrade is silly yet it turns out it is kind of necessary. I let out a chuckle.

After the chairman of Lenoxx Corporation—Silvester Lenoxx, died from an unknown illness, the son continues to lead as the chief executive yet, his eyes are set on robots. No matter how busy he is—managing his father's companies, he always engrossed himself in building robots as a hobby. He never builds robots for riches, not like his father. But he's the one behind the creativity of every robot's system upgrade, he's always been praised for it.

I... also praised him for it.

"Chandra, we have gained new intel from the higher-ups. They want to you handle this." A young man spoke from Channing's screen located on its chest. Benedict, an associate of mine. A boring associate, actually.

I played with the food on my plate as I listened to Benedict's reports. I heard a sigh from the line. I raised my head a bit, looking at Channing's screen only to see Benedict's irked face.

"You know, if only I have my phone with me I would gladly take a photo of you." I jokingly said with teasing eyes.

He grunted and irritatingly scratched his head with both hands. I sighed. It's my freaking day off, can't the superiors be satisfied with how I just eliminated an evil syndicate last 3 days ago? And now that I recalled it, I remember vividly how I was having a hard time with a guy—one of the syndicates who was trying to get on top of me, wringing my neck while I was pulling out my extra beretta m9! Thank goodness I shot him dead in the head. Hence, how I lost my phone.

"Tsk. Are you even listening? Innocent lives will end up dead if we don't take this seriously, Chandra!—"

"Fine, fine!" I stood up from the table and took my dish and utensils to the kitchen sink. I heard Channing's light footsteps behind me since Benedict is still on the line. I washed the dishes and headed to my room.

I eyed Benedict on the screen as I stopped amid the door frame. "What, you want to see me change?" I raised a brow with a teasing smile.

"Fuck no—"

I slammed the door, without letting him finish. I rolled my eyes at that.

After changing into a black tight suit, I gathered my needs for this mission. I loaded my beretta and put on the earpiece to listen to the orders from the higher-ups. I turned it on with two taps.

"Good evening, Chandra. Listen, your mission is to invade the chamber of the chief executive of Lenoxx corp., he was seen with the syndicate that you eliminated last 3 days ago. We have a bad feeling that he's involved with the syndicate's schemes. You must find out what they are up to. Find any evidence in his chambers."

I suddenly paused from what I'm doing. I stared at the bag which I'm holding onto and clutched my fingers around it. I'm not surprised... or pretending to be. I closed my eyes and felt a lump in my throat as I breathe. I proceed to put my extra clothes and boots in.

"Lenoxx?" I tried to sound interested.

How I wish I could take that question back. I'm not interested, I will never be. But what can I do, the higher-ups will not approve of any childish reasons. I have been taking their orders for years, it would be so wrong to back out because of a mere... guy.

"Silver Lenoxx, the third son of the deceased Silvester Lenoxx,"

Shit.

"And he might be involved with the highest criminal organization we've ever known, Chandra."