Chapter 4

I returned back to the room and panic began rising within me. I started opening the drawers and wardrobes, desperate to find something that could help me unlock the door. To my surprise, the wardrobes were full of neatly hanged clothes. Clothes that seemed to belong to a young woman. There were cocktail dresses, skirts, sequined elegant dresses, and so much more. I pulled out the drawer underneath the bed. It was full of shoes. A huge variety of them. There were boots, heels, platforms, wedges, sneakers. Tons of then. Just then, I heard someone fidget with the lock on the door outside. I got up and scrambled towards the hallway and what I saw made my heart sink to my toes.

It was the same man. The man from the grocery store. He stood there, wearing a formal shirt and cigarette pants, holding a tray piled high with food. He walked past me and entered the bedroom and placed the tray on the dresser, "I knew you'd be up by now," he said and smiled at me, as if everything was completely normal. "What did you do? Why are you doing this?" I choked out, helpless tears streaming down my cheeks. "What do you mean?" The man looked confused, "I told you, you qualified. Don't you remember?"

"What? Qualified for what?!" I shrieked at him. "Now, now. That's no way to behave. I'll do the rest, but you have to work on your character and personally. I'll help you with that too, don't worry." His reply sparked up the rage in me. I leaped at him, in an attempt to grab the key from his pocket but within the blink of an eye, the man grabbed me by the arm and twisted it behind my back. Pain shot through my body and I whimpered, asking him to stop. He pushed me away. I toppled over, lost my balance, and fell in a heap on the ground. Reality struck me, I was trapped with a psycho. This was real, not a nightmare. I started crying helplessly, calling out for my mom and dad. I wanted to go home. The man bent down beside me and placed his index finger under my chin. He lifted my face towards him, "don't cry. I don't want to hurt you. But I will have to take precautionary measures if you try to do that again. Do as I say, and I'll be the best of me." The man said. He stood up and walked towards the door. "Eat up, get rest. We will talk later." He shut the door behind him. I sat still on the ground in a trance. How do I get out of here? I thought to myself. I felt my stomach grumble with hunger. The tray on the dresser looked tempting and smelled good but I decided that I would refuse to eat anything. What good would a starving girl bring to him? I stood up and walked over the window. It was extremely high; too high for me to reach. "Aha!" I exclaimed as I looked over to the chair behind the dresser and excitement gushed over me. I hurried to the dresser and dragged the chair to the window. Still not good enough. I then placed two pillows on the chair. "YESSS!" I squealed with delight. Holding on to the bookcase, I climbed on the pillows on the chair, barely able to keep my balance. I grabbed the window railing and hoisted myself up with a triumphant smile.

What is this place.. I gasped. All I saw in front of me was acres and acres of plain meadows. There was nothing else in sight; no other buildings, no roads, no cars, no humans, nothing. The view from the window was chilling. I was high above the ground, probably five to six stories high. I could make out a huge backyard underneath, with a little pond on the right corner, and lots of laundry hung up to dry. The grass was freshly trimmed and the yard looked very well maintained. I am in a mansion! I realized.