Chapter 1: Andie's Assignment

Andie’s POV

“Andie, it’s brilliant, it’s really moving. But it’s never gonna appear in Composure magazine.” Jeannie informed me truthfully. I knew she was right, my boss Lana would never allow me to write an article on politics.

“I busted my butt in grad school, to be ‘Andie Anderson the how to girl’. And write articles like ‘how to use the best pick up lines’ and ‘blondes, do they like really like have more fun?’” I said in a valley girl, bimbo voice, receiving a laugh from Jeannie. This is what my life has come to. I want to be a big journalist, and write about important things…but sadly that just doesn’t seem possible.

“I wanna write about things that matter, like politics, and the environment and foreign affairs; things that I’m interested in.”

“Keep busting your butt, you can get there. Hey, I got something to cheer you up. You know that editor from sports illustrated that you have been shamelessly flirting with on the phone for months now? Well he made a little delivery this morning.” She informed me, as I jumped up eagerly and over to her desk to see what it was.

“Ah! Let me see!” I grabbed the envelope from her, pulling out two tickets to the football game happening tomorrow night.

“Tomorrow night,”

“What happens tomorrow night?” she asked curiously.

“Only the most artistic display of athletic competition known to man kind.” I stated aloud, almost too giddy too handle. She rolled her eyes at my works, giggling at my pure excitement. She wasn’t much of a sports girl, but I on the other hand was obsessed.

“Come with me?”

“Alright, I’ll go, but I am not putting out.” She joked cheekily.

“Hey ladies, don’t forget there’s a staff meeting in 30 minutes.” One of our annoying coworkers informed us, her perkiness annoying me the second she opened her mouth.

“Michelle, haven’t seen her all morning, have you?” I asked referring to our other friend who was currently no where to be seen.

“Tent to one she’s wallowing.”

“It’s my turn, I’ll get her, you get the coffee and meet me in the corner at one.” I said, rising from my seat and quickly gathering my things.

“Wait, wait, wait. Take some samples,” she said throwing some new makeup and cosmetics into a bag. That’s one of the perks of working for one of the most well-known fashion magazines in London; free samples of makeup, clothes, shoes, you name it. I grabbed the bag from her and ran out the door of our office.

I knocked on Michelle’s door, waiting for her to answer.

“Hi.” She appeared in the doorway, trying to sound happy but she was on the verge of tears.

“Good morning sunshine.” I joked, and she now full on crying.

“Okay, get dressed. Get dressed. Staff meeting in 15 minutes.” I demanded, barging in her flat.

“I’m going back to bed. I have no reason to live.” She informed me, climbing into her and under the covers.

“The suns out.” I said opening the curtains, trying to lighten the mood. I grabbed the bad that Jeannie had given me full of the clothes and makeup samples and dumped it on her bed.

“Is this cashmere?” she asked, holding up a green sweater, finally starting to perk up.

“Put it on, it’ll make your eyes look fiercely green.” I told her, finally getting a smile out of her.